Can't find ἄνδρες in Greek NT (Tagged)

JamesBB

Hi Everyone

I came across a weird bug this afternoon. I copied the word ἄνδρες from Greek NT (Tagged) and tried to search for it but the box came up wanting me to select a word that it deemed was present in the text. The other words in my search were fine, but not ἄνδρες. Is this a known problem? If it is any help I was trying to search for occurrences of the phrase καὶ ἰδοὺ ἄνδρες δύο but that failed because of ἄνδρες. I tried in my other Greek text (GNT Textus Receptus with Strongs) and it works fine there.

Since ἄνδρες is an inflected form, and a Greek search looks for lexical forms, ἄνδρες won't come up unless you put it in quotation marks — "ἄνδρες".  If you do such a search, you'll get 63 hits in the NA28th.  If, however, you want to see all occurrences of the lexeme, search for ἀνήρ, the lexical form (216 hits).

EDIT:  Ἄνδρες is the nominative plural of ἀνήρ (nominative singular).  If you're an English-only Bible student, you can get the lexical form from the Mounce Greek dictionary that comes with every copy of Accordance.

Edited by Julia Falling

Aah, thank you! I don't use Greek searches often so I didn't know that. Very helpful.

Thanks

James

Even for those who don't know a scrap of Greek, Greek searches can be very helpful.  Suppose you only want to look at a noun when it is used in the singular?  Or in the plural?  A Greek Search with tag specified can enable you to do this.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1