"word" counts in tagged texts

miketisdell

I there a way to get "word" counts in a tagged text rather than lexeme counts i.e. count בביתי as 1 word rather than 3?

This is probably the better place to ask my question so I have reposted it.

Reposted from: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/25718-word-counts-in-tagged-texts/

Edited by miketisdell

Accordance is there any solution for this?

It depends on how you want to see the count.  If you are searching for the literal string בביתי, it will count correctly.  Which count are you referring to?

It depends on how you want to see the count.  If you are searching for the literal string בביתי, it will count correctly.  Which count are you referring to?

I am looking for the count of all words i.e. to compare to the Masora totals i.e. I want to count "בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ" as 7 words and not 11

I am looking for the count of all words i.e. to compare to the Masora totals i.e. I want to count "בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ" as 7 words and not 11

Any help with this?

Accordance fundamentally treats words as the distinct grammatical units.  If you want word counts based on spaces and punctuation, you'll need to use an untagged Hebrew text.  I believe you can download one from the Accordance Exchange:

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/bibles.htm

Look for the 'Unpointed Hebrew Bible'.

Accordance fundamentally treats words as the distinct grammatical units.  If you want word counts based on spaces and punctuation, you'll need to use an untagged Hebrew text.  I believe you can download one from the Accordance Exchange:

I will check and see if that is available, however, it would be nice to be able to count tagged texts in this way. Some tagged texts are not available in non-tagged versions.

I finally had a chance to try and install this. It does allow the search to be performed; however, the search command line doesn't recognize this as Hebrew and the search text with wildcards is difficult to read because they appear in the wrong order. Additionally, the text it self is not right justified, and the verse presentation is backwards!

There has to be a better solution than this!

post-35053-0-10228600-1553299078_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

One thing I can tell you, is that the Hebrew will go in the correct order if you set the display to Separate Verses instead of Paragraphs. Click the gear icon > Set Text Pane Display > Separate Verses. Then you will see something that looks quite strange, each verse reads RTL, but each is left justified.

post-32543-0-77986700-1553301249_thumb.png

Yes, I agree, there has to be a better way. There were severe limitations with RTL texts and User Tools when I posted the UHB in Nov. 2015 (see https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/16753-set-hebrew-to-display-as-unpointed-text/page-2?hl=boustrophedon),and these still remain. And, as you well know, there are still severe limitations with RTL in the Notes and in the display of Live Click results.

The only real advantage for me of the UHB is that I can change the font to a Paleo-Hebrew one if I want. But, I've long since made my own Unicode Hebrew Bibles for personal use, and don't use the UHB on Accordance myself. For a question like yours, I just copy and paste into Word and get word counts that way.

Thank you for again pointing out the limitations with RTL texts. Honestly, 25 years, and still not offering RTL support in Notes, Live Click, and User Tools. Very, very frustrating, and almost beyond belief.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Has anyone tried reimporting this text?  We added support for RTL user bibles in 12.3, should work and display much better.

Has anyone tried reimporting this text?  We added support for RTL user bibles in 12.3, should work and display much better.

I can try. I sent the file to Michel and he compiled the WLC for the Exchange.

I have 4 Versions:

Unpointed, with cantillation marks, with vowels, with cantillation and vowels.

It worked with 12.3, 12.3.1 but with 12.3.2 and 12.3.3 it is as before 12.3.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 2