Is Dropbox change in number of devices going to affect you?

Larry Wing

In case you hadn't heard Dropbox is changing their Basic (free) plan to maximum of 3 devices.  If you're already connected to more than 3 you can keep those connections. I'm not sure what happens if you have more than 3 and then drop 1 but are still over 3. Does that mean the whole plan changes or just lowers your number of devices? 

$99/year if paid yearly is out of the question for me.

Is this going to affect anyone here only uses the Basic plan? I for one use Dropbox Sync on 5 devices for Accordance. I also sync some files to other devices but am well under the 3.75 gb I have (2gb plus some referral and Mailbox bonus).

edit: I'm not sure if syncing from Accordance to Dropbox counts as a device.  Or is a device only when their app is running on the computer?

Edited by Larry Wing

I expect every device it's installed on counts against that number... so computers, phones, tablets — each one registered as a sync-able device.

This will be a problem for me... I have a laptop, desktop, iPhone, and iPad...   I will now only be able to sync Accordance on 3 of those devices it sounds like.  The only reason I have Dropbox is for Accordance, but I'm not going to pay $100 / year for that capability.

To be honest, I would be happy to pay Accordance $25/yr or so for an in-house sync solution (using S3 or something).  iCloud would also be great, but obviously that just helps us Apple users...

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

This is why Accordance should stop using Dropbox and follow other company's like Logos and Wordsearch and sync on their own. It will cost more, but its better for Accordance users.

Kevin, personally I disagree. The Accordance team is small, and I would much rather them focus on developing the software (especially iOS and Android). I get your perspective; it’s totally legit. Just wanted to say this is *way* low on the priorites list for me compared to other things.

• Like 1

Rich, from what I understand those that you have currently will still work, but you won't be able to connect more beyond that.

Rich, from what I understand those that you have currently will still work, but you won't be able to connect more beyond that.

That's my understanding too. While they limit number of devices they haven't been very clear on number of apps connecting to account from a device.  If there continues to be no limit on number of apps then Accordance syncing could continue as it has in the past. Going to my Dropbox account I see all the devices and all the apps that have permission to access account in two separate sections. Since I have not only a number of devices I also have a number of apps that sync through Dropbox. 

What I also found odd was when going to Dropbox web site and clicking Plans the Basic free is not an option.

Correct, so as soon as I upgrade any device, I will no longer be able to sync my Accordance with it.

Kevin, personally I disagree. The Accordance team is small, and I would much rather them focus on developing the software (especially iOS and Android). I get your perspective; it’s totally legit. Just wanted to say this is *way* low on the priorites list for me compared to other things.

Well, I agree that priorities for a small team are critical, and until this recent limitation, I would have consider it a fairly low priority as well — but,  if users can't sync between all their devices, then that's a pretty severe limitation for Accordance.  That said, as long as the limit is 3 devices, which I imagine is the crucial number for most people (computer, phone, tablet), I'm not sure how significant the impact will be - how many users have 4+ devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) like I do?   I would imagine that Oaktree has those metrics, and can prioritize accordingly.  In the end, we are all at the whims of a 3rd party (Dropbox) who has not been the most pro-consumer over the last five years (major privacy issues, pricing, etc).

For various reasons, including the unresolved rtl issue, I don't use Accordance Notes, etc., so I don't use sync. But if I did, I would be torn between Rich's and Brian's point of view on this.

Not too trivial not to react. But there's no mission critical urgency at this very point in time
If there is someone willing to work part-time just a few hours to set up a server and maintain it, I don't think hot swap is needed at all other than for the main mass storage drives rack, let such completely new staff person do that, and charge us customers a markup - don't spread it over all of us but don't put even one day's desktop software programming efforts into it but add the native server as a simple menu option - user selectable. Don't make an announcement this time around after that.
Just watch if it hits storage capacity roof. No panic- just give sync error until more storage capacity has been added.
Charge not the small banknotes as add-on fee, but like Rich said $30 40 a Year each Accordance customer who opts-in.

Please don't bother those who have no use for sync! I use USB memory stick only and always will.
Offer no new outsourcing for the desktop!

This is straight-forward, clear as a bright sunny day. I've always watched outsourced cloud storage as clear scam for many Years now since 2011, always expensive: Next dumbest thing in the line after posting repetitive smiley inflation "proof of emotions". I have for the first time of my life 1-2 Weeks ago used more than two smileys per session-hour, this with just one girl. Over half of the time I'm far from emotionless. My heart skips a beat in excitement over every response for everyone

EDIT: Spelling of name, etc.

Edited by Unix

For what it's worth, I've emailed Dropbox asking for clarification on apps syncing via Dropbox. Even if they say no limit there is still an issue where apps sync to the Dropbox folder on the computer which assumes a device use. If that holds, I still may be limited since I have Accordance on 5 devices but can only use 3 devices. While not a problem for me at the moment it could be some day.

This limitation doesn't work for third-party apps. That's why I prefer CloudMounter to connect my Dropbox account, it allows unlimited connections to one account. Even after this Dropbox update.

This limitation doesn't work for third-party apps. That's why I prefer CloudMounter to connect my Dropbox account, it allows unlimited connections to one account. Even after this Dropbox update.

I don't think CloudMounter or other proxies would work with Accordance, as I assume it uses the DropBox API to access Dropbox directly.