Hits/1000 statistic denominator incorrect

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Acc 12.3.3rc3

Win 10    - I have not tested this on Mac but it would surprise me if this is not generic.

Open the NA28 Greek

Open the Table analytics

1. Search for * [RANGE acts ]   -> should show 18472 hits - the total number of words in the searched range

Table will show hits/1000 -> 1000.   Correct.

2. Search for μεν [RANGE acts 1-15:35]     -> should show 23

Table will show hits/1000 -> 1.25      Incorrect

3. Search for * [RANGE acts 1-15:35]    -> should show 10063 hits

Table will show hits/1000 -> 544.77     Incorrect

The problem is this: the denominator in the hit/1000 for all three of these queries is the same, the number of words in the whole of Acts.

The correct answer for query 2 is 23 / 10063 * 1000 = 2.286

The correct answer for query 3 is 1000, just as it is for query 1.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

I do not think that the Table has ever given the frequency based on the search range. It is designed to calculate the frequency based on entire book or chapter.

The problem with that is that the numerator and denominator are then inconsistent with one another for searches specifying a different range, as here. That renders the statistics incorrect though it's not clear that they are from the chart. I only actually figured this out because I was comparing the numbers with others in an article and had cause to recalculate them myself from the raw counts. At that point it became clear something was amiss.

Incidentally, the numbers in the article mostly came from Accordance 8 (hence my other question about getting a search done in Acc 8 the other day). Now those hits/1000 numbers are noticeably closer to mine than to Acc's current numbers. Not having access to an Acc 8 env I cannot determine the cause.

I can obviously workaround this now I know it happens. I can just extract raw counts and calculate my own ratios, but I figured I would mention the bug.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל