"Book Name Required" (Please don't require book names)

TYA

With highly familiar book names like those in the Bible, this isn't such a big deal, but especially for works with longer book names, it would be nice to not have to type the book name in the search bar when a particular book is already on the screen.

Multiple other Bible software programs I use work the way I'm describing here (i.e. not requiring a book name to be entered all the time), and it does save time.  Again, with longer book names (e.g. "Pseudo-Philo"), this would be of great benefit.  See attached.  Thank you.

post-35231-0-37325700-1553387434_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Never thought of using the current book as context. Could be helpful.

+1

Thx

D

• Like 1

Remember, the box at the top is for a fresh ‘search’. Try using the box in the bottom right for jumping and easy reading. It does support context, and your example should work just fine there.

• Like 5

Remember, the box at the top is for a fresh ‘search’. Try using the box in the bottom right for jumping and easy reading. It does support context, and your example should work just fine there.

Thanks, I never realized I can only type there the chapter and the verse alone. Or only the chapter. I always typed the Book too, so it was not a big alternative.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Yeah, I didn't know that either. Thanx Joel.

Thx

D

Amazing; we're all learning!  This is good to know, and thanks as always, Joel.

However, I still would like the context in the main search bar too.  This is because I do everything from that one place.  I've specialized in efficiency.  I configured all my Workspaces, windows, etc. to always have that main search bar in the exact same place on my screen, so that I can have a macro that quickly puts my mouse cursor there at the drop of a hat, erases whatever is in the field, and prepares me to write the next thing, whether a verse, a flex, or word.

With a flick of my wrist (the mouse) my cursor is back in that top search field, with it cleaned out and ready to go.  Often I study through consecutive chapters of text in a single book, and may type dozens of verse references from the same book.  But I may also intersperse word searches (e.g. "fire," "priest," etc.).  So being able to operate from a single place, and have the context is ideal.

Thank you

Edited by TYA

However, I still would like the context in the main search bar too.  This is because I do everything from that one place.  I've specialized in efficiency.  I configured all my Workspaces, windows, etc. to always have that main search bar in the exact same place on my screen, so that I can have a macro that quickly puts my mouse cursor there at the drop of a hat, erases whatever is in the field, and prepares me to write the next thing, whether a verse, a flex, or word.

I have to say, I almost said the same sort of thing. I really don't use the Go To box much - it's too far from the rest of the UI I commonly use. 

Thx

D

• Like 1

One of the key philosophies in Accordance is our version of 'WYSIWYG' - the source for your search should always be visible, so you always know how you got your results.  If we start making it so the search bar is *sometimes* contextual based on a prior, now invisible search, I'm not convinced this is a positive step forward from a UI perspective.  Now, I'm not saying that improvements can't be done, but an interface item working consistently is key towards discoverability and user learning.

All of that being said, do recall that a simple press of 'tab' when you are in the entry box will jump focus down to the Goto box, for typing down there instead.

• Like 5

... do recall that a simple press of 'tab' when you are in the entry box will jump focus down to the Goto box, for typing down there instead

Joel, again, I vote for you for the Peace Prize.  This is a fair compromise.  Since my macro erases whatever is in the top search field with the flick of the wrist, I then only have to slide my pinky over to the "Tab" key, and I'm down in the Goto Box, ready to search in context.  Good deal.

One problem: the Goto Box disappears for no good reason when the pane is shrunk.  This is especially challenging on screens with limited size, like mine (see attached).  Please simply have the UI guys slide it over to the left against the "Bk" buttons.  OR, allow the Goto Box to function when hidden.

I have numerous Workspaces, and I have sized some of them minutely down to the very pixel, to make them just right.  Therefore, as this screenshot shows, one pixel too far, and the Goto Box suddenly disappears, and can no longer be used.  Not that I care about visibility, but it no longer functions once it disappears.

Thank you.

post-35231-0-64847300-1553484076_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

TYA, I have often found the 'goto' box rather fiddly.  I find it much easier to use Joe Weaks script and apple services. That way with a quick keyboard shortcut I get a 'goto verse' dialogue box.   The downside is that the first search always goes to a new tab.  I've got used to that and I keep the second tab on recycle, that limits my work flow to a reading tab and my goto tab.

post-5536-0-63797900-1553506036_thumb.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

TYA, I have often found the 'goto' box rather fiddly.  I find it much easier to use Joe Weaks script and apple services. That way with a quick keyboard shortcut I get a 'goto verse' dialogue box.   The downside is that the first search always goes to a new tab.  I've got used to that and I keep the second tab on recycle, that limits my work flow to a reading tab and my goto tab.

which one is this, from his download site?

Greetings

Fabian

which one is this, from his download site?

Greetings

Fabian

Fabian, I genuinely can't remember, there have been a number of variations over the years.  (Joe, is almost certainly the author).  I've attached my Automater workflow, which you can get the script from or just create a keyboard shortcut. I use 'Alfred' to quickly access the script.  I hope this helps.  

Paul.

Acc - Verse Search.app.zip

I find it much easier to use Joe Weaks script and apple services

Thank you, Paul.  Very kind of you.  I'm assuming it is only for Mac, not for PC?  I'm actually thinking of coming up with a separate macro that adds a press of the "Tab" key, so that with a flick of my wrist I can get the cursor down to the Goto Box (screen size issues, aside).  Thanks again for the helpful suggestion.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Thank you, Paul.  Very kind of you.  I'm assuming it is only for Mac, not for PC? 

TYA, yes unfortunately it is for Mac. I'm a long time Mac user.  However, I'll be surprised if someone (a customer or developer) hasn't already written a Windows macro to do a similar job.  Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. 

• Like 1

... the Goto box, for typing down there instead.

One other disadvantage to using the Goto box is that it doesn't register in the Verse History.  (I just noticed this.)   I always want verses to register in the Verse History, as I'd love to see that feature enhanced (I've made requests in other posts).

Again, the Goto box doesn't register the verse history.  Can this be changed, or made into a preference, at the very least?  Or again, I'm still back to my ideal: make the primary search field at the top able to search by context.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1