HMT-W4 Notes

Fabian

I am not 100% sure but I think this is a note from the editors of whatever this text is. I do not think it is a note in Westminster. I could be very wrong though!

The second note is consistent with the notes in the WHI MORPH DB. I can't see from the screenshot exactly what word is being noted, but from my (older) raw copy there should be a note on 2 Chr 34:15, word 3:

2c34:15,3.1]3 WA W:@Pc
2c34:15,3.2]3 Y.O33)MER03 )MR_1@vqw3m

The note is indicated by ]3 and means "We read or understand L differently from BHS (1983 Edition). Often this notation indicates a typographical error in BHS."

I do not think the MORPH DB notes anomalous forms. If you tell me what word has the first note, I can check, but most likely this note belongs to the person who put together the Westminster Leningrad Codex page.

Finally, I am not under the impression that these notes were carried in to Accordance, but if I am wrong I would also like to know where to find them.

Best,

Pete

• Like 1

I just stumbled over attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-24 um 20.30.01.png from the https://tanach.us/PDFFiles/Chronicles_2.acc.pdf 

Does this represent the original Westminster Notes? If yes, then where is it in Accordance?

Greetings

Fabian

I have to say this notes are only an example there are more if you check the PDF on tanach.us

Greetings

Fabian

OK, so I couldn't figure out how to produce the PDF before, but now I see that the notes you asked about are related to 1 Chr 35:4. In my version of the MORPH DB, this word gets marked with note 9:

2c35:4,2.1]9 **W: W:@Pc
2c35:4,2.2]9 **HFKI71YNW. KWN@vhvmp

This note means "BHS has abandoned L and we concur. All of these occurrences are ketiv/qere problems" which you can see in Accordance by comparing the verse in the Biblia Hebraica and the (older) BHS modules. I still don't see any way to access the note in Accordance.

So, it looks like the q note is indeed in the Westminster database that provides the tagging info underlying the Accordance tagged texts, but I don't know that there is any way to access these in Accordance.

Pete

Hi,

This information is available as a pop-up in some places in the Logos edition of Biblia Hebraica Westmonasteriensis with Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.18. For example, at Gen 14,2:

post-32543-0-57802700-1553699486_thumb.png

It doesn't come up in 2 Chron. 34,15.

I wrote this a while back:

"It appears I have read too much into Westminster's description of their modifications towards Leningrad. After further research, it appears that consonantal changes may be in the tens, not the hundreds.

For BHS and HMT, the consonantal text of Leningrad conceptually includes the marginal Qeres. It appears that most/almost all of HMT's proposed different readings of consonants are to the Qeres. These different readings of the Qeres even include such things as the mysterious yathir readings (disregard the superflous yod or waw, according to Tov).

So, it appears that a major portion of the many hundreds of modifications towards Leningrad, in the course of Westminster's continued work, affects the Qeres, which aren't even pointed in Leningrad, and are open to interpretation. They even add a maqef to some Qeres, and these too probably count as changes.

I can't find a way to search the popups in HMT to list the many hundreds of changes. And I can't find a list of Westminster's many hundreds of modifications. If there is one, they should make it more readily available. I would like to know if the vast majority of consonantal modifications occur in Qeres, and if the vast majority of the remaining modifications are limited to different readings of accents, and a vowel here and there."

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21414-bhs-w4-to-hmt-w4-update/?p=104491

Regards,

Michel

Edit: I meant that the marginal Qeres in L aren't pointed. Of course, their pointing is given in the Kethibs. But, HMT disagrees with BHS's transcription of some of the marginal Qeres, including consonants and pointing.

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 3