SALE! New Releases from Oxford UP & Pillar NTC

R. Mansfield

Brace yourselves! We have New Titles from Oxford University Press for the Accordance Library + a new volume in the PILLAR NT COMMENTARY & more! Save up to 52% off regular prices!

• Like 2

LAST CHANCE for introductory discounts on new titles from Oxford University Press + up to 52% off the Pillar NT Commentary (15 volumes). Sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!

• Like 1

Interesting that noab made it onto the top ten sales but none of these oup publications did.

Oxford Bible Commentary may've been worthy of top 10 status  but many of the others are less stellar in my mind. I bought the Oxford Companion to the Bible because over the years I have found it quite useful but as my review stated i find it a secondary resource not a primary one. I grabbed the dictionary for curiosity sake only to be disappointed over all... seeing that Olivetree felt excited enough over it to list it as a forthcoming title i thought maybe it would be something exciting but to discover for the most part the articles of this dictionary felt to me veery inferior to the OCB articles left me feeling why had OUP done this work. It to me felt very mediocre and a 2 star work in my mind. I have not wrote a review of it because I hate to write reviews for books i do not commend in someway. And while i think over the years I may come to appreciate something about it at this point in time I have nothing much good to say about it beyond saying a few of the more fringe articles (topics & people not directly dealt with in the Bible) are nice and useful (see example at end). I am not unhappy that Accordance has released these along with what i hope will be more items just some are much better than others. And while I wait to see if the OSB gets released (the only Revised English Bible Based Study Bible ever developed to my knowledge). I do not except that it will never make top 10 but it will be a wonderful companion tot the REB which for many many years only had availability in Accordance, now both OT and FL sell it with the translation notes but this overlooked treasure of a translation has been available in Accordance for the longest time. And if truth be known i suppose i would like integration of translation notes to NRSV and addition/integrated notes to the REB more than the Oxford Study Bible. I do not know what the future will bring and I was a bit surprised to see the Access Bible released since this was another product that in it's original form that I also found less than stellar. Although this is a revised and expanded edition so it may well be improved upon from the original (my hard copy of which i passed on as a gift to a couple i know who did not own a NRSV Bible which struck me as odd since it was the Bible we used at church and her husband being catholic was also hearing it at church since the Canadian Catholic Church uses a slightly modified NRSV as their lectionary version). The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church would be a major bonus and as much as i value it greatly it's very step price will likely mean that FL is the only place i have an electronic copy. Although I do have my 2nd edition hard back from back when you could find it for less than a used car.... (I kid but it is a very expensive volume).

-dan

Hoskyns, Edwyn Clement (1884–1937) English baronet who studied theology in Berlin under *Harnack and was an influential NT teacher at Cambridge. He translated K. *Barth’s commentary on the epistle to the Romans; though an Anglo–Catholic in sacramental doctrine, he was influenced by the Reformed tone of Barth’s dogmatic theology. He was opposed to fashionable liberal theology and once observed that NT *eschatology fortunately protected the doctrine of God from evolutionary theories of history.

Oxford Dictionary of the Bible: Second Edition, s.v. “Hoskyns, Edwyn Clement,” 153.

PS: Odd ball entries like this but no Martin Luther but then many of these curious peripheral entires are seem to be 19th or 20th century figures.   
Edited by Daniel Francis

The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church would be a major bonus and as much as i value it greatly it's very step price will likely mean that FL is the only place i have an electronic copy. Although I do have my 2nd edition hard back from back when you could find it for less than a used car.... (I kid but it is a very expensive volume).

-dan.

I was given the 1971 reprint of the 1957 version. Cost £7.50 back then. There is an abridged version which i bought as a paperback. Totally agreee that it is expensive but it includes so much and i use it a lot.

I just want to see oup recognise the importance of accordance and bring more of their titles to this platform as they have some fantastic unusual volumes. Plus i bought the commentary as its so much more useful in accordance compared to the cd or paper copy.

• Like 1