Catholic Study Bible 3/e question

Michael J. Bolesta

I installed the Catholic Study Bible 3rd edition. Two modules were added: Catholic SB-3.atool and Catholic SB-3 RG.atool

Upon perusal of the two it seems that Catholic SB-3 RG (Reader's Guide) is contained in Catholic SB-3. Is this a duplication?

Thank you very much!

I believe that it is made available separately so that you can use it in the Daily Readings feature.

I believe that it is made available separately so that you can use it in the Daily Readings feature.

The Reader's Guide is more of an introduction to various sections of the canon rather than daily reading of the text. Both modules installed in the Study Bibles folder of the Library rather than the Devotionals folder.

There is a third module, Catholic Lectionary that is in the Devotional folder. It works with Daily Readings.

My question about the Reader's Guide (Catholic SB3 RG.atool) remains unanswered.

Michael,

When I developed the module it was only as the whole item. We then split the lectionary out as a feature. While I wasn’t involved with the decision to split the reading guide out it’s my guess that they did so so that you can have it sync with the biblical text like the main commentary. Thus, you could have both the main commentary and the reading guide in sync at the same time.

Edited by Graham Buck
  • Like 2

Thanks Graham. That makes sense.

Can you tell me more about the lectionary module? I'm not interested in the Study Bible content, but a lectionary module is a feature I'm missing.

Is there any chance you would offer this or another Catholic lectionary module separately?

jlm

I do not know what Accordance has planned. I have asked for the Catholic lectionary in the past. The one bundled with the Catholic Study Bible 3/e is the only separate Catholic lectionary that I know they offer. The same material appears in the 2/e within the module itself, not separately. Both editions have the Sunday and weekday lectionaries, but oddly they do not include the psalm (or the gospel acclamation), likely reflecting the printed version of the Catholic Study Bible. All these modules have embedded links to the text modules you designate in preferences.

Thank you Michael. The question about future plans was addressed to Accordance staff, although I suppose they can't comment. I see a Catholic lectionary module as the sort of tool that should be in a Catholic add-on to the base Accordance packages. I've thought about building my own User Tool, but haven't found the time yet.

I was wondering how the lectionary works as a devotional: is it like a calendar that gives the readings by date, or is it just indexed by the liturgical celebrations?

The lectionary has the reading for Mass. Print editions usually have Sundays in one volume (or three: years A, B, and C), daily Mass in two (years I & II), and others in another volume (votive and ritual Masses). Sunday volumes include many solemnities and feasts. Weekday volumes have those of the universal calendar.

The one included in the Catholic Study Bible 3/e does work with the Accordance Daily Reading feature.

I would like to see Accordance offer a lectionary with the psalms and gospel acclamations (not included in the Catholic Study Bible).

• Like 2

I would like to see Accordance offer a lectionary with the psalms and gospel acclamations (not included in the Catholic Study Bible).

Agreed.

Thx

D

Thank you Michael. That was helpful.

In planning a User Tool, I found a website with all the data necessary presented in tables: http://catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/1998USL.htm

The tables include the references for the responsorial Psalms and Gospel acclamations. There is data for all the volumes of the lectionary, not just the Sunday and weekday readings, and even some data from a 1947 hand missal.

The copyright link at the bottom of the page gives terms for reuse and the e-mail address for asking permission for commercial use, as I hope Accordance is interested in doing.

Edited by jlm

It can certainly be done from this website - I did it several years ago. I only did the Sundays. I developed two tools. One with the 3 years, and the other with a calendar with links to the other. Of course you have to do a new calendar each year. But with the advent of the browser in Accordance I only use the reading information in it so I can link to the relevant verses. The browser allows me to use the website to check the date to week mapping.

Looking at the copyright what I have would be shareable so long as it was not sold and gave credit, unless the church considers the lectionary data itself to be protected, but his site makes no mention of that. It's been a while since I looked at the top of the file but I think I included that information in there. Let me know if you want to take a look.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I don't think the church considers lectionary data protected. I've seen APSA license numbers from sites that reproduce the Catechism and other works, but I've never seen one in connection with the daily readings. Corpus Christi Watershed has had a PDF of the 1969 Ordo lectionum missae available for download for almost five years now.

I would be interested to see your user tool for the lectionary. Building a calendar every year would be too time consuming for me. I already have PDF and print liturgical calendars, and there are plenty of websites that will tell me what is celebrated each day. Currently I rely on these sites, highlight the Scripture reference, and use a Share extension to open it in Accordance.

Yes thank you very much.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis

Very welcome guys.

Thx
D