Problem with Diacritics in Scripture References when Inserting Verses

OSchrock

I have imported a Portuguese Bible and everything works perfectly in Accordance.  However, when I use Accordance Services or "Get Verses" to insert a verse in any text editor, the letters with diacritical markings are messed up.  This only happens in the Book names in the references of Biblical texts and not in the actual text of the verses.  I can copy and paste out of Accordance without any problems, it only occurs when I use the Accordance Services or Get Verses feature to insert texts (which I do very frequently).

When inserted it appears as the following:
ã becomes: √£  and thus: 1 Jo√£o 3:5 
Ê becomes: √ä  and thus: √äxodo 3:5
é becomes: √©  and thus: Ef√©sios 3:5
ó becomes: √≥  and thus: 1 Tim√≥teo 3:5
etc. 

Further information: I imported a different Portuguese Bible in May of 2017 and it does not have any problems when inserting verses.  I’m only having problems with this Bible I imported In November 2018.  I think the 2017 Bible I imported had to be encoded in Western/Roman and this 2018 one was UTF8.  I changed the encoding on this new one to Western/Roman and re-imported it and it still had the same problem. I verified that both the Bible text file and the Alternative Book Names files were properly encoded.
I keep Accordance updated, but I don’t remember what version was in use when I imported the other Portuguese Bible in 2017.

MacOS version:    10.14.3
Accordance version:  12.3.3

Here are a couple screenshots of my export and citation settings.
post-31975-0-31213100-1553734607_thumb.png
post-31975-0-28448300-1553734630_thumb.png

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found a solution?

Question: happens this in Word (or other MS apps) or in Pages (and other Apple apps)? Or in both?

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Question: happens this in Word (or other MS apps) or in Pages (and other Apple apps)? Or in both?

Greetings

Fabian

Yes, it happens when using services or Get Verses in every application I tried, including Word, Pages, Notes, Bear, MacDown, and Mail.

It seems the file with the Book names are not in MacOS Roman. Check again. 

I had the same, but in Accordance and in Word post-32723-0-97581400-1553773829_thumb.png.  After change the encoding to MacOS Roman it works fine. 

The image is from Word with the Get Verses feature. I have to say I use the very latest (office insider fast) Word. 

post-32723-0-62797100-1553773665_thumb.png

The first is as unicode the second as MacOS Roman.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

I had the same, but in Accordance and in Word attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-28 um 12.50.39.png.  After change the encoding to MacOS Roman it works fine. 

The image is from Word with the Get Verses feature. I have to say I use the very latest (office insider fast) Word. 

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-28 um 12.47.05.png

Greetings

Fabian

But I would love if all is unicode compatible. 

Greetings

Fabian

I had the same, but in Accordance and in Word attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-28 um 12.50.39.png.  After change the encoding to MacOS Roman it works fine. 

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-28 um 12.47.05.png

Greetings

Fabian

You were right. Apparently my book names was not Mac OS Roman as I thought. After converting it to Mac OS Roman, I imported the text (UTF8) with the Book names (Mac OS Roman) and now the Acc Services work perfectly.

Interestingly, the "Get Verses" feature now completely omits the letter that had the diacritical markings. But, I use the services (via Alfred App) so, this doesn't bother me.

Thank you for your help!

...After converting it to Mac OS Roman, I imported the text (UTF8) with the Book names (Mac OS Roman) and now the Acc Services work perfectly.

Interestingly, the "Get Verses" feature now completely omits the letter that had the diacritical markings. But, I use the services (via Alfred App) so, this doesn't bother me.

Thank you for your help!

I just realized that with this newly imported text, though it appears correctly within Accordance and the Accordance Services works perfectly, when I copy directly out of Accordance, all the letters with diacritical markings (in the references) are simply omitted, just as they are if I use the "Get Verses" feature.

This is only a minor problem for me, since I use the Accordance Services almost exclusively when pasting scripture passages.  Still, I'd love to find a solution to this.

I just realized that with this newly imported text, though it appears correctly within Accordance and the Accordance Services works perfectly, when I copy directly out of Accordance, all the letters with diacritical markings (in the references) are simply omitted, just as they are if I use the "Get Verses" feature.

This is only a minor problem for me, since I use the Accordance Services almost exclusively when pasting scripture passages.  Still, I'd love to find a solution to this.

Are you really sure?

I have done a User Bible with all your diacritics above: 

In Accordance

post-32723-0-63256000-1553958394_thumb.png

Get Verses in Word:

post-32723-0-56784100-1553958435_thumb.png

No one is omitted.

Greetings

Fabian

Are you really sure?

I have done a User Bible with all your diacritics above: 

In Accordance

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-30 um 16.06.46.png

Get Verses in Word:

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-03-30 um 16.07.44.png

No one is omitted.

Greetings

Fabian

Interesting.  In MS Word, it shows substitute characters or an empty box; in Pages and Evernote the letter is simply missing.  Here is a screenshot with Word on the top-left; Pages on the bottom-left, and Accordance on the Right.

post-31975-0-62722800-1553965516_thumb.png

Edited by OSchrock

Check if you have Export all as unicode.

post-32723-0-67905900-1553966156_thumb.png

Till Accordance support systemwide unicode it has to be in MacOS Roman, but all other Platforms should be in unicode. So you have it to export as unicode.

BTW I have requested for a systemwide support of unicode in Accordance. Maybe with 13.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian