Photo

Insight need on Judges

judges commentaries

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Commentary on Judges

Which do you prefer? Feel free to share reasons below.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 revtim

revtim

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Twitter:@revandmrshall
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, & technology
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:51 PM

Afternoon all,

I am seriously considering a sermon series based on Judges, not sure yet if I will preach through the entire book or select certain judges. Either way I am looking at purchasing a commentary on the book of Judges and thought ya'll could chime in on which is most helpful.

I currently have: Cundall in Tyndale Old Testament & Younger in NIVAC

I am looking at: Butler in WBC or Web in NICOT, but am open to other thoughts too

I am on a limited budget.

Thanks for the help.

In Christ,

Tim Hall

MacOS

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017) [space grey...coolest computer color in my mind]

1.2 GHz Intel Core m3

8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3

Intel HD Graphics 615 1536 MB

Running Mojave 10.14

iOS

iPhone X on Verizon

64 GB

Running 12.0

iPad (9.7" early 2018)

Wi-fi only

32 GB

Running 12.0

#2 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

I know there are differences in content but i have found the organization of a commentary to also be a factor. I looked at several commentaries when doing ecclesiates and found the structure of wbc resounded with me. I have one nicnt and find i struggle coz the commentary text isnt organised.

I only have wbc so cant compare the content between the two but i still get a lot from the authors translation, notes, form and structure and comments even if the final meaning section doesnt strike a chord.
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#3 Diatheke76

Diatheke76

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Single man who loves studying God's Word. I'm also trying to learn to play guitar. Love to go out for walks with my chihuahua. And definitely, I love to teach God's Word in English and Spanish.
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:14 PM

Judges: So Great a Salvation by Dale Ralph Davis is one of the best and most practical preachable commentaries I own. It’s part of the Focus on the Bible Commentary Series by Focus Press. I’m not sure if Accordance has it, I didn’t check.

#4 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:18 PM

WBC is without doubt a far superior commentary in my mind and just doing a quick scan of the 2 in Judges 11 it really didn’t even feel like much of a contest. I will say that I first thought of WISDOM COMMENTARY (VOL. 7): JUDGES (GARCIA BACHMANN) as an interesting alternative with plenty of insight and a female perspective. But bang for you limited buck like I said WBC feels like the best choice in my mind.

-dan
  • revtim likes this

#5 Douglas Fyfe

Douglas Fyfe

Gold

• Accordance
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:@realDuck5
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:24 AM

I've heard Barry Webb preach through parts of Judges and his reflections, from the parts I've read through in this volume, are superlative. His comments on structure are very insightful if structure is your thing. I've not worked through either, just some personal testimony on the author!

They are only three years apart, so unless something phenomenal happened in Judges studies between 2009 (WBC) and 2012 (NICOT) there's not much to say on that account.

iPhone 6+ :: iOS 12.x || Windows 10 :: Samsung ATIV ultrabook i5 :: 1.80GHz || my wife controls my MacBookPro :: OSX 10.11

Accordance Demonstrator in Australia

#6 Douglas Fyfe

Douglas Fyfe

Gold

• Accordance
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:@realDuck5
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:30 AM

Judges: So Great a Salvation by Dale Ralph Davis is one of the best and most practical preachable commentaries I own. It’s part of the Focus on the Bible Commentary Series by Focus Press. I’m not sure if Accordance has it, I didn’t check.

Yep, DRD is top notch also. And no, it's sadly not in Accordance.

It seems revtim is asking for more technical commentaries (which WBC and NICOT are), and while Focus on the Bible is great, it's not technical, so may not fit that part of the request.

iPhone 6+ :: iOS 12.x || Windows 10 :: Samsung ATIV ultrabook i5 :: 1.80GHz || my wife controls my MacBookPro :: OSX 10.11

Accordance Demonstrator in Australia

#7 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Judges - Ruth, by Daniel I. Block in The New American Commentary, Vol. 6.

But, it is only available in a subset of the OT in Accordance, https://www.accordan...pid=NAC-History

It is available as a single volume in Logos.

Dr. Block was my first OT teacher, and the reason I pursued OT studies.  He backs up his scholarship with his personal life. I would buy anything/everything he writes.

Regards,

Michel

• R. Mansfield and Unix like this

#8 A. Smith

A. Smith

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

Bock, NAC. Hands down. 

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

For potential diagnostic purposes:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 i7, 16GB ram

iPad Pro, 10.5", 256GB

iPhone 7, 256GB

#9 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

Block is a great scholar but I would get the WBC simply for the bibliographic material. Each chapter begins with pages of bibliography to scholarly articles which is superb for research or chasing odd topics in the text.

• revtim, Daniel Francis, ukfraser and 1 other like this

Cheers,

Matt C

#10 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

I agree with Matt while Block is superior to Web, Butler still for me feels like the superior work, for me even without the wonderful bibliographic material. I was not going to say anything because I had already stated my opinion earlier but seeing as more learned people than I see the value in WBC I thought I would toss in my 2 cents for whatever it is worth (probably about the 2 cents).

-dan

• revtim and MattChristian like this

#11 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,214 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Accordance (of course!); biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology & practice; spending time with my wife, Kathy, and my hound, Lucy Mae; cooking with cast iron and Tabasco; getting lost on country roads in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

I’m late to this conversation and was about to suggest Block in the NAC, but I see that others beat me to it. Regardless, I agree. Block on anything is above par.

Dr. Block was my first OT teacher, and the reason I pursued OT studies.  He backs up his scholarship with his personal life. I would buy anything/everything he writes.

Dan Block was probably the best OT prof I ever had, too. 

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: judges, commentaries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users