Insight need on Judges

Tim Hall

Commentary on Judges  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Afternoon all,

I am seriously considering a sermon series based on Judges, not sure yet if I will preach through the entire book or select certain judges. Either way I am looking at purchasing a commentary on the book of Judges and thought ya'll could chime in on which is most helpful.

I currently have: Cundall in Tyndale Old Testament & Younger in NIVAC

I am looking at: Butler in WBC or Web in NICOT, but am open to other thoughts too

I am on a limited budget.

Thanks for the help.

I know there are differences in content but i have found the organization of a commentary to also be a factor. I looked at several commentaries when doing ecclesiates and found the structure of wbc resounded with me. I have one nicnt and find i struggle coz the commentary text isnt organised.

I only have wbc so cant compare the content between the two but i still get a lot from the authors translation, notes, form and structure and comments even if the final meaning section doesnt strike a chord.

Judges: So Great a Salvation by Dale Ralph Davis is one of the best and most practical preachable commentaries I own. It’s part of the Focus on the Bible Commentary Series by Focus Press. I’m not sure if Accordance has it, I didn’t check.

WBC is without doubt a far superior commentary in my mind and just doing a quick scan of the 2 in Judges 11 it really didn’t even feel like much of a contest. I will say that I first thought of WISDOM COMMENTARY (VOL. 7): JUDGES (GARCIA BACHMANN) as an interesting alternative with plenty of insight and a female perspective. But bang for you limited buck like I said WBC feels like the best choice in my mind.

-dan

• Like 1

I've heard Barry Webb preach through parts of Judges and his reflections, from the parts I've read through in this volume, are superlative. His comments on structure are very insightful if structure is your thing. I've not worked through either, just some personal testimony on the author!

They are only three years apart, so unless something phenomenal happened in Judges studies between 2009 (WBC) and 2012 (NICOT) there's not much to say on that account.

Judges: So Great a Salvation by Dale Ralph Davis is one of the best and most practical preachable commentaries I own. It’s part of the Focus on the Bible Commentary Series by Focus Press. I’m not sure if Accordance has it, I didn’t check.

Yep, DRD is top notch also. And no, it's sadly not in Accordance.

It seems revtim is asking for more technical commentaries (which WBC and NICOT are), and while Focus on the Bible is great, it's not technical, so may not fit that part of the request.

Judges - Ruth, by Daniel I. Block in The New American Commentary, Vol. 6.

But, it is only available in a subset of the OT in Accordance, https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=NAC-History

It is available as a single volume in Logos.

Dr. Block was my first OT teacher, and the reason I pursued OT studies.  He backs up his scholarship with his personal life. I would buy anything/everything he writes.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

Bock, NAC. Hands down. 

Block is a great scholar but I would get the WBC simply for the bibliographic material. Each chapter begins with pages of bibliography to scholarly articles which is superb for research or chasing odd topics in the text.

• Like 4

I agree with Matt while Block is superior to Web, Butler still for me feels like the superior work, for me even without the wonderful bibliographic material. I was not going to say anything because I had already stated my opinion earlier but seeing as more learned people than I see the value in WBC I thought I would toss in my 2 cents for whatever it is worth (probably about the 2 cents).

-dan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m late to this conversation and was about to suggest Block in the NAC, but I see that others beat me to it. Regardless, I agree. Block on anything is above par.

Dr. Block was my first OT teacher, and the reason I pursued OT studies.  He backs up his scholarship with his personal life. I would buy anything/everything he writes.

Dan Block was probably the best OT prof I ever had, too.