Change Default Font for User Notes

Kristin

I am having some difficulty with the user note font. My notes are set to "Lato" and I am trying to make the default for my notes to be Times New Roman. It does not appear that I can change the default, however. Is this correct?

I don't have the option to change the font (since it is grayed out) unless I click "standardize font." I am not looking to standardize the font, however, since I use a different font for English and Hebrew.

My goal therefore would be to have a default of Times New Roman going forward, without needing to "standardize" all of my current Hebrew notes to Times New Roman. 

Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide.
Kristin

Have you tried changing the font in Preferences -> User Files?

• Like 1

Hi Joel,
Thank you, that had been the issue. I had been trying to edit it under "User Note Display," but "User Files" fixed the issue. Given this, do you mind clarifying the difference between "User Note Display" and "User Files?"

I suppose a similar question is what I noticed before, that I cannot change the font under "User Note Display" without standardizing it. Could you explain what "User Note Display" is, and why the font is not able to be changed?

Thanks,

Kristin

The User Files preference is the default for all User Files. It affects your primary font when making a new note, making a new user tool, and possibly a couple other defaults.  Changing it won't affect any existing notes, it is just the default for new items.

The User Note Display is the actual display for your specific notes file.  As with all of our other Set ___ Display preferences, the changes only apply to the open tab or pane, unless you click 'Use as Default', which then would have it apply to any future instances of that Notes File.

Normally, the Set Notes Display lets you choose things not related to editing of the note, such as the Leading/Line Spacing, the Background Color, Search Highlighting, etc.  The reason the font choice is dimmed without standardizing is because the font is normally chosen while editing a note.  If the user actually wants to change the font used throughout the entire note, that is the point of a Standardization.  If standardization is off, then whichever font, size, and style used when editing the note will be respected.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't be afraid of using a standardization from a Greek or Hebrew perspective.  The code will still render Greek and Hebrew properly, using their chosen fonts in Preferences -> Unicode Display.  You only want to avoid standardizing if you have varying sizes and styles that you wish to maintain.

• Like 1

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the clarification, the distinction makes more sense now. :)