Word count?

vr8ce

I'm a longtime Bibleworks user new to Accordance.

BW has (had) the ability to get a word count for all the words in any range of verses (or books). For example, you could get a word count for Matthew, and it would list every word in Matthew (in whatever text you chose) and the number of times it occurred, which could be sorted either by word or by count. The same could be done for Judges 3, or for the entire Bible (the latter is admittedly not that useful, but it was possible).

Is this possible in Accordance? I searched Help for "word list" and "word usage" and "word count" and couldn't find anything that looked like that. The word chart is showing words by verse, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Yep it can be done.

Do a search for, for example,  * [RANGE matt]

Then when it's completed click on the View Analytics pull down menu and select Analysis.

A new tab will open with the words, and you can adjust it to show inflected forms, order counting up or down, or alphabetical. And so on

Thx

D

Perfect. Thanks very much. Having the ability to show the associated key words is a nice touch.

I don't think I ever would have found that with the Help. "Analysis" doesn't scream "word count". :)

Oops, sorry, one more question. Is there the ability to give it a list of "ignore words," i.e. count everything but these words? (BW could have two lists, and you could AND them or OR them, etc.)

I tried a few searches, and read through the Analysis help, but didn't see anything.

Do you mean something like : *@-(Abel, father, generations) [RANGE matt] 

Thx

D

I don't know, I'm not One with Accordance yet. :)

I'm guessing the @- are for exclusions? If so, that's OK, but this particular use case is of a long list of exclusionary words. I have a list of "noise" words (list B) that I would bounce against the text word list (list A), where BW kept the words in list A that weren't in list B. The list is long enough that the above syntax would be really cumbersome.

post-32723-0-09545500-1555484863_thumb.png

@ Join tag to word

- Range or negate

So with the @ Join tag to word combines the wild Card with the Beginn grouping and the End grouping.

Combined with the post-32723-0-34652200-1555485571_thumb.png [RANGE Command and a Bible part] you get your hits.

If you don't can't remeber the Commands and tags you'll find them anytime under Search or a right click in the search entry field.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Hi vr8ce,

I'm guessing you're not really on Accordance 8.

You're probably going to want to go through the search section in the docs, https://www.accordancebible.com/Help-For-Accordance/, specifically, http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX12/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/perform_basic_bible_text_search.htm which has a bunch of links at the bottom of the page on various search features.

There are a bunch of podcasts too : https://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Recommended/. There are a number of search related ones listed there. https://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Index also has sections on modern language (How to Search (Modern Languages) and original language searches (Greek and Hebrew (Original Languages)).

The podcasts are a great way to get up to speed on how it all works.

thx

D

If you want to search for all words except those in a predefined list, you would need to open your Bible text in two distinct tabs. In one, you would search for the words you want to exclude. In the other, you would search for * (indicating all words) @ (joins two search criteria so that any word found must meet both criteria) - (negates) and then the HITS command linking to the window containing your excluded words. The HITS command represents every word found by the search in another window. Here's a quick example. Hope it helps.

post-6-0-02337000-1555517250_thumb.jpg

If you're really interested in getting a lot out of the program, you would do yourself a great service by getting yourself a cup of coffee or glass of wine and a nice comfy spot, and read through the Help docs.

D, I didn't know why you thought I was; I looked back to see where I'd said I was on 8 and couldn't find anything. And then I noticed it under my profile picture; I set up this user way back when the iOS version was first released and have only used it a couple of times since then. Fixed.

And, I actually did exactly that before I posted. (I didn't follow every sub-link all the way down, but I did look at all of those top-level links.) Beyond the basics, I haven't found the help all that helpful so far. Reading the help for @, as just one example, gave me no clue that I needed it for the kind of search I'm doing here. Might be I'm not smart enough for the Help. :) Either way, I needed more help than Help, hence the post.

David, that's actually very close to what I was looking for. That allows you to at compare a word list between two books, or two translations, or whatever. It would be nice to be able to save a word list and use that, but that's 90% of the way there. Thanks very much!

Ah ok. Have a look then at the Greek crib sheet I have in my signature line. I have a number of examples of @ usage on that page and other simple (single term) searches.

Thx

D

• 4 years later...