Searching for Genitive Absolutes

Joe Weaks

Hey all,

This is a "just for fun" for anyone that wants to have a go at it.

Here's the simple search string I came up with to find all non-articular genitive participles with a genitive substantive beside it:

[VERB participle genitive] <NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [ARTICLE genitive] <AND> <WITHIN 1 Words> ([NOUN genitive], [ARTICLE genitive], [ADJECTIVE genitive])

The goal was to find most candidates for a genitive absolute. But, this structure has limitations, of course... problem allowing some but not all intervening words, etc.

I was toying with how to replace the "<NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words>" syntax with one using simple word order and a negative wildcard, but couldn't get it right. Was trying things like:

[ARTICLE genitive]@-* [verb participle genitive]

[ARTICLE genitive]-@* [verb participle genitive]

-[ARTICLE genitive] [verb participle genitive]

Am I missing something?

I'm now going to work up a Greek Construct search that allows certain intervening words etc., which is how this should be done, but I always try text searches first.

I'd be interested in seeing a correct simple search syntax using a negative wildcard.

I'd also be fun to see suggestions for a Genitive Absolute search using any manner. Including construct screenshots.

If I like mine, I'll post it.

• 3 weeks later...

So... anyone have a good Greek construct window for finding Genitive Absolutes? Frankly, I'm having trouble getting at one.

Archived