Syncing (1.4)

rcdeacon

Not working on my Motorola G6 Play! I signed into Dropbox, gave permission and it appeared to sync but no highlights (and I have plenty)!

Check in your general settings on the G6 and see which highlight file is in use. Is it the one you expect ? If not check the pull down list for the one you want and select that.

See if that helps

The

D

Tried that, no go! Actually tried a couple of different highlight to see if I could get anything but that also failed.

I had a problem getting sync to copy some highlight file a to one of my devices. I added a new highlight to it and then sync'd that from my Mac to DB. Then I sync to my phone. Then that file made it over. So if the problem is with the highlight file not being copied over to the G6 to begin with that may help. Otherwise it could be something else. I've reported one or two highlighted related things which hopefully will be fixed shortly.

Thx

D

I finally got it working! I had 1.3 which upgraded to 1.4b2 today. I had to uninstall and reinstall. Highlights are there! Yippee!

I finally got it working! I had 1.3 which upgraded to 1.4b2 today. I had to uninstall and reinstall. Highlights are there! Yippee!

• Like 1

Glad to hear it's working! Unfortunate though that you had to uninstall. Since we're still beta testing, any feedback you can provide will be extremely helpful for us to avoid these issues for other Accordance Android users. You mentioned that you had 1.3 and then upgraded to 1.4b2 -- did you have 1.4b2 yet when you reported the issue initially or were you still using 1.3?

I did not try to sync until after 1.3 upgraded. I did not have much on my install so reinstallation was no big deal. Why it took that I do not know. I did discover in the process that I was violating the 3 device limit of Dropbox. I have since met those requirements but I don't know if that was a factor or not.

• Like 1

Interesting. Did you fix the 3 device limit issue before successfully downloading or after?

I thought the 3 dev limit did not impact applications - I remember something about that. And it says at one time. So you can unlink devices and relink them I guess. Bit clunky. Check this : https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-Support-Feedback/Three-devices-limit-and-API-access/td-p/334652. Does this apply ?

Certainly, if you have more than three linked before March 2019 they say you will be able to keep them.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Daniel. Dropbox's official answer in the referenced post reads, "Users of third party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want."

In Accordance terms, that means that you can use Accordance's "Dropbox Sync" with as many devices as you want, regardless of your Dropbox account level or restrictions. So we can rule that out as the problem.

Well Matt that is good to know! Not sure when I unlinked, before or after. At any rate it is working now and if I remember any more specifics of the incident I will post.

Thanks for the link Daniel. Dropbox's official answer in the referenced post reads, "Users of third party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want."

In Accordance terms, that means that you can use Accordance's "Dropbox Sync" with as many devices as you want, regardless of your Dropbox account level or restrictions. So we can rule that out as the problem.

I tried the sync option and was unable to get it going. I am not willing to uninstall because I spend a good amount of time arranging my library and do not want to loose the order. I did try to disconnect from Dropbox but that doesn't seem to work i.e. I press it and it changes to connect immediately, but if I quit and re-open it still appears to be connected. I have not found a way to re-enter my credentials. 

• Like 1

I just disconnected and then hit the Connect button and it popped up a browser window to enter my DB creds again. I did not try exiting the app. but I notice that the Dropbox setting is still showing Connect. That's interesting. Exiting and re-entering the settings I then see it updated correctly to show Disconnect. Perhaps you are disconnected by the property controlling the button text is not updated correctly. What happens if you try to sync ? I assume you have some highlight files in your Accordance DB folder for it to sync. If not it won't do more than check.

Thx
D

I just disconnected and then hit the Connect button and it popped up a browser window to enter my DB creds again. I did not try exiting the app. but I notice that the Dropbox setting is still showing Connect. That's interesting. Exiting and re-entering the settings I then see it updated correctly to show Disconnect. Perhaps you are disconnected by the property controlling the button text is not updated correctly. What happens if you try to sync ? I assume you have some highlight files in your Accordance DB folder for it to sync. If not it won't do more than check.

Thx

D

I got the popup the first time I did connect, but it hasn't appeared a second time. When I disconnect, the button changes to connect, but pressing the connect button does not do anything and when I restart the app the button is changed back to disconnect. 

Yes, I added some hightlights to test; and when I press sync, it completes immediately but I do not see any new or updated files in dropbox and the hightlight file in the settings doesn't appear to exist on dropbox.

Ah ok. I might know what happened.

This is on the latest 1.4 open beta, 1.4.0b2 right ?

And you created highlights in the Android device and tried to push them up to DB ?

If you don't already have a My Mobile Highlights.hlt file in the /Apps/Accordance/Highlights folder of your DB account it won't push the changes. I reported an issue on this and there is a fix coming. I was able to sync highlights by using a different highlight file which I first pushed from Mac to DB. Windows should work also but I have yet to try it. Then that should sync down to the device and then you can choose that highlight file from the "Highlight file" setting in the General Settings. With that much working you should the be able to highlight on the device and push it back.

Of course, if that doesn't work, then it's one for Matt and I don't know what's up.

Thx

D

Ah ok. I might know what happened.

This is on the latest 1.4 open beta, 1.4.0b2 right ?

And you created highlights in the Android device and tried to push them up to DB ?

If you don't already have a My Mobile Highlights.hlt file in the /Apps/Accordance/Highlights folder of your DB account it won't push the changes. I reported an issue on this and there is a fix coming. I was able to sync highlights by using a different highlight file which I first pushed from Mac to DB. Windows should work also but I have yet to try it. Then that should sync down to the device and then you can choose that highlight file from the "Highlight file" setting in the General Settings. With that much working you should the be able to highlight on the device and push it back.

Of course, if that doesn't work, then it's one for Matt and I don't know what's up.

Thx

D

Yesterday I tried selecting the highlight file uploaded from windows, but it didn't appear in the selection window on Android. 

Today I tried renaming a copy of the windows highlight file to the mobile file name but that didn't work either. 

I do know that it appears to see the dropbox app folder because if I remove it, hangs during the sync process i.e. it shows 'syncing' continually. When the app folder exists, it returns immediately.

The reason it didn't appear is that it hasn't sync'd yet to the device I think. I had a problem where two highlight files in DB would not sync down to the device. I made additional highlights in each one on my desktop and sync'd those to DB. Then the phone was able to see them and sync them. I don't know if that would help you here.

The hang thing doesn't sound good. If the app directory goes away in DB the sync process should handle that somehow I would hope. But I don't know if that behaviour would be peculiar to Android or more general.

Thx

D

Thanks for the reports, they'll be helpful in resolving this. Part of the problem seems to be that when a sync fails, it still updates the recorded "last sync time", which causes subsequent sync attempts to ignore all of your files, as the app believes they have already been handled. That one is clearly a bug and is an easy fix.

As for what is causing the sync to fail in the first place, I'm not sure yet. Is it possible that you lost a network connection or had a very weak connection? I've noticed the same issue on my own device a few times while trying an initial sync over a weak internet connection, but I don't know whether or not that is always the cause.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reports, they'll be helpful in resolving this. Part of the problem seems to be that when a sync fails, it still updates the recorded "last sync time", which causes subsequent sync attempts to ignore all of your files, as the app believes they have already been handled. That one is clearly a bug and is an easy fix.

Ah ... that explains why the additional update to the highlights was required.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Although this is not directly related to iaccordance mobile, I have FOUR devices that used to be linked to Dropbox and since I had the previous message about the 3 device limit  when trying to get the syncing issue resolved with accordance mobile (Android) and adjusted  my device list with Dropbox I can no longer link my fourth device! I am NOT a big fan of the Dropbox thing however, since I can only link three devices without spending money each month I do not have at this time I have opted to leave my Windows 10 box unlinked.

This is unexpected - I thought that they would allow this for an App. I'll have to try adding my fourth dev and see what happens.

Thx

D

I believe he was referring to the Dropbox app itself. You can still use more than 3 devices with Accordance's Dropbox sync, correct?

Yep must be. I just hooked up my PC laptop and so have four devices syncing Acc highlights and that worked fine. It was not previously a DB client.

Thx

D

As for what is causing the sync to fail in the first place, I'm not sure yet. Is it possible that you lost a network connection or had a very weak connection? I've noticed the same issue on my own device a few times while trying an initial sync over a weak internet connection, but I don't know whether or not that is always the cause.

Matt, how close are we getting to a bug fix that can be tested?

Also, can we incorporate syncing of the library book order on Android devices?

Mike

Matt, how close are we getting to a bug fix that can be tested?

Also, can we incorporate syncing of the library book order on Android devices?

Mike

I just got the beta 3 and the update fixed the sync issue! 

Thanks

• Like 1