Syllabification of Hebrew Bible

Bielikov

In my Logos Bible Software I can see the syllabification of each word in the Biblia Hebraica through the interlinear (Lexham Hebrew Interlinear), through the transliteration line. Each syllable is separated by a dot. I have a personal dislike for transliterations but this tool is very useful. I have begun testing myself verse-by-verse and do so against the LHI. 

Does Accordance have a way that I can check for the syllabification of the Hebrew text? Many thanks!  

• Like 1

In our dynamic interlinear the transliteration as well as the lexical forms do separate off the prefixes. There is no way to separate each syllable of a word. I don't understand why it would be useful.

Hi Helen, I feel quite honored that you are responding to my question. First of all, thanks so much for your Hebrew language training modules, which I have really enjoyed. 

Why is syllabification useful to me? My grammars give assignments to syllabify Hebrew words and it is nice to be able to test myself since few of my texts give a sufficient number of examples. So I have been using the second line in the LHI (Lexham Hebrew Interlinear) to double check my answers. Why do the Hebrew grammars teach syllabification? To understand and be able to determine, among other things, which of the syllables is being accented, the ultima or penultima; among other reasons. Also some grammatical points require us to know something about the syllabic relation of a grammatical point. Finally, and perhaps most important, syllabification bears a very important help in the proper pronunciation of the Hebrew text. 

Helen, I am sure that the process must have taken Logos an enormous amount of work to accomplish. Perhaps I am an unusual student who takes each assignment so seriously. Last year I read along the whole BHS, or listened to it, in order to get a better feel for the Hebrew language. I attached a sample from the LHI for you to look at.

Best wishes from Chile.  

(PD. I am loving Accordance. I love the floating instant details and I love the audio narration of the chapters or verses of the Hebrew Bible. And many other things about Accordance that I love.)

syllabificationpdf.pdf