Can't get new User Note file to open to verse

Abram K-J

In 12.3.4 on macOS 10.14.4, I create a new User Notes file, which is successful, but then when I try to open it using command-U from a verse, OR open it as parallel pane and press space bar to pop open edit window... it consistently opens to Genesis 1.1. But I'm in Psalm 1.1. in my Bible. Changing Bible text location doesn't make a difference. This new User Notes file will only open to Genesis 1.1.

Let me know if more diagnostic info is needed.

Now it's working, and I can't reproduce... even though it happened several different times this morning. Advancing to Psalm 1:3 and clicking on the plus button in the text margin opened the new Notes file to Psalm 1:3, and then the other methods worked for that verse and Psalm 1:1, Psalm 1:2, etc.

The plot thickens. Now in Psalm 1:3, command-U gets me into an edit window of Psalm 1:3 of my new User Notes file just fine, but space bar from the open pane of the same Notes file opens an edit window keyed to Genesis 1:1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I know what's going on.

When you click on a note then start typing, it starts editing at the location you clicked, not at the location where you have a different pane scrolled to.  If your notes file is blank, every click is counted as Gen 1:1.

Does this sound like it accounts for what you are describing?  I suppose I could see how this might be counterintuitive, but I don't think it's a bug, per se.

That makes sense, but I also could only open the User Note to Gen 1:1 when using command-U from a Psalm 1:1 Bible text, too, which is a little different than what you describe (although your explanation does account for some of what I experienced). 

The underlying logic of having a blank notes file count every click as Gen 1:1 is definitely not what I would have expected, though.

It's been a really long time since I made and used a new User Notes file, and I won't be doing it often, but I wonder if this is only an issue with brand new files?