Why does Text Browser allow me to try to select something I can't?

Abram K-J

I get that the Text Browser is drawing directly from the library and my user-defined groups, but doesn't Accordance have a way to know that a given user-group "does not contain any texts," to prevent those user groups from showing up in the first place?

post-31802-0-42610800-1556307919_thumb.png

post-31802-0-83031700-1556307931_thumb.png

A small nuisance in the grand scheme of things, but I don't see why the interface would show something (or fail to grey it out) that a user can't select anyway.

• Like 1

I'd say we have two reasons not to remove it or grey it out.  Say someone created a user group, then try to use it in the text browser.  If it's missing or greyed out, they may not know why.  It's clear to you and me, but we have to keep new users in mind, hence the explanation.

Another reason is in case they contain texts from a different Corpus.  So for instance, a group still needs to be selectable if it has texts from the Pseudepigrapha, even you are currently looking at the Bible, in case you use the pop-up at the bottom to switch the text browser to the Pseudepigrapha.

That helps to know, thanks. Still, I can't think of any other time on a Mac app where I've tried to select something that only after my selection told me it was unselectable--every other app (even Accordance) in every other instance I can think of grays out the option in such a case and won't let the user select... but making it gray still keeps it visible.