sync highlights without dropbox?

Kristin

I have been having an issue with highlights on my iPad. When I first opened Accordance on my iPad I noticed that the iPad seems to have different and simpler highlighting, and that is fine, so I just made highlights in a random color. However, when I then went to my computer the highlights are not shown at all. 

I looked through some of the threads and it seems like this is because I have not synced my computer and iPad to dropbox. Is this the case? I thus have two questions:

1) Is there a way to transfer highlights between the computer and iPad without dropbox?

2) If not, how much space does it take to sync things to dropbox? My dropbox space is pretty low and I am not sure if this would be possible.

Thank you for any clarity which you are able to provide.

Sincerely,

Kristin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kristin,

Understanding this is from a few weeks ago, but yes, you can sync highlights over wifi. You do not need Dropbox to do this.

In addition, in v3.0 that just shipped you can now edit highlights on your iOS device. No longer do you have to deal with the simpler iOS stock highlighting (though the ability to sync and use desktop highlights has been there for quite some time).

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the reply. If you do not mind, could you explain how I am able to sync over wifi? I am logged in on both my computer and my iPad, but the highlights don't seem to be anywhere. Do you mind explaining how to go about doing this?

Also... something I always get spooked about with syncing... I have a lot of highlights on my computer which are important, and then I have a few highlights from the stock highlights on the iPad which are not important. How can I make sure that when it syncs it does not select the stuff I did on the iPad and overwrite my highlights on the computer?

Thanks and take care,

Kristin

Hey Kristen,

Understanding this is from a few weeks ago, but yes, you can sync highlights over wifi. You do not need Dropbox to do this.

In addition, in v3.0 that just shipped you can now edit highlights on your iOS device. No longer do you have to deal with the simpler iOS stock highlighting (though the ability to sync and use desktop highlights has been there for quite some time).

It's definitely a fair concern, overwriting data. The easiest way to ensure this for your first go around is to make sure that your highlight file names are different. They most likely are, but go ahead and double check.

Then from you iOS device, go into the library and click the sync button in the bottom toolbar (the circled arrows icon). It will now sit, waiting for the desktop to connect.

Open Accordance on your computer and (assuming macOS is correct from your profile) in the Accordance menu, select 'Sync with Mobile Device…' Then you can find your highlight file at the bottom of the list in the My Highlights list.

I am finding this area to be pretty annoying at the moment. The mobile devices create a "My Mobile Highlights" file in dropbox whilst the windows PC creates a "My Highlights" file. The two don't talk to each other so I am reticent to work on my PC as I can't get the highlights across to my iOS devices. Sytnc with mobile device doesn't seem to be an option for windows users.

Kristin, did you get anywhere with this?

In your Accordance for iOS preferences, set your default highlight file to "My Highlights" instead of "My Mobile Highlights."

Hey Mark. Thanks for that tip - I literally discovered it just as your post came through! So that resolves my future woes, but I need to merge all the highlights from the mobile highlights to the main highlights file now so I can just use than one file. Any thoughts?

Edited by longhornm

Yep. On your desktop, select "Highlights" from the "Window" menu. Then select "Merge".

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-11%20at%2012.46.

Edited by Mark Allison

Thanks so much! That has worked perfectly and will make things so much more usable now.

Thanks for the amazingly quick response as well, I was getting a bit frustrated

• Like 1

Hi Longhorm,

Thanks for the question. No, I have not gotten anywhere with this yet. My issue is that if I go to the settings, I do not have a "My Highlights" even as an option. I think this is because the two devices are not talking to each other, which sort of brings me back to the original question I had posted. Is there a way to sync without dropbox? I don't have a dropbox account for it because of space issues. If I create a dropbox account for it, I don't even know how that would work. So I am sort of lost and only have "mobil highlights" as an option.

I am finding this area to be pretty annoying at the moment. The mobile devices create a "My Mobile Highlights" file in dropbox whilst the windows PC creates a "My Highlights" file. The two don't talk to each other so I am reticent to work on my PC as I can't get the highlights across to my iOS devices. Sytnc with mobile device doesn't seem to be an option for windows users.

Kristin, did you get anywhere with this?

Edited by Kristin

Kristen,

I'd use Dropbox for syncing. it's much more transparent and you'll use very little disk space. For example, my highlights folder is 5.4 mb.

Hi Mark,

Ok. Is there a YouTube video or something somewhere about how to set this up? I don't even know how to connect dropbox or how to begin. Thanks. 

Kristen,

I'd use Dropbox for syncing. it's much more transparent and you'll use very little disk space. For example, my highlights folder is 5.4 mb.

It's all done through your preferences on both your devices. In Accordance on your desktop, open your preferences and choose the "Syncing" option. Check "Link with Dropbox. Accordance will walk you through the process.

Do the same thing on your mobile device.

Then, make sure the same highlights file is selected in your preferences on both devices. That should be all you need to do!

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-11%20at%201.48.1

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I seem to have figured out how to sync it. Thank you for your help and the photo.

Take care,

Kristin

It's all done through your preferences on both your devices. In Accordance on your desktop, open your preferences and choose the "Syncing" option. Check "Link with Dropbox. Accordance will walk you through the process.

Do the same thing on your mobile device.

Then, make sure the same highlights file is selected in your preferences on both devices. That should be all you need to do!

• Like 1