Search LXX and GNT together?

andrewsach

Is it possible to treat the LXX and GNT as a single text, so that I can search for a lemma across both, and have the results displayed in a single window?  I dimly remember in BibleWorks there was a text called BGT which was essentially just a combination of LXX and GNT. 

Sorry if there’s a really obvious answer, I’m new-ish to this. 

There is, though, a less expensive solution: in your Library => my groups, create a folder "GNT+LXX" (for example), then go to those modules, right-click on "add to user group". 

From there, you can do your query on a word or set of words, by right-clicking on that/those word/words, then going to "research" and selecting the group you have created. That will search both corpora for the word you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

DC

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 2

Thanks Joseph but that’s not quite what I was looking for. I already own the Ralph’s LXX and the Greek New Testament, so don’t want to buy them again just to get them to function together. I’ve discovered how to make them display in a single panel (using “attach an alternate text”) but not to search as one. 

Edited by andrewsach

Thanks DC. Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

The Greek Bible uses Swete's LXX and Wescott & Hort's GNT. We used them because both were tagged using the same system, which made searching them together possible.

The Greek Bible uses Swete's LXX and Wescott & Hort's GNT. We used them because both were tagged using the same system, which made searching them together possible.

Would it be possible to detail what the differences would be between this tagging system and the one(s) used for GN28 and Rahlfs LXX? Thanks!

DC

• Like 2

I do not think that we have ever documented the differences exactly. One is that ImproperPrepositions are not defined in the LXX so that option is dimmed. Presumably those forms are tagged differently in the Rahlf's LXX.

Ok. Thank you Helen!

So if one already owns both the Swete's LXX and Wescott & Hort's GNT what advantages does the combined module give that cannot be replicated another way in Accordance?

I have both but have not purchased the upgrade mainly because of the above (and because I primarily use more recent LXX and GNT texts)

The advantages are not huge, which is why even the creation of this text was a late development. You would get your text results in a single pane, and the analytics would work across the entire text, plus any linked searches would work on the entire text.

• Like 2