Hello again. Looking for a word.

Jesse Dornfeld

I am looking to study a specific word that IDK if it exists or not. The word is that of the mean of example and purpose at the same time. Doesn't matter if it's in Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic, just has to be in the Bible.

The word is that of the mean of example and purpose at the same time

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want a word that means both "example" and "purpose" at the same time.  I don't think there is any such thing--at least not in English, as "example" and "purpose" have no real semantic overlay (shared meaning).

I looked both words up in 40+ English dictionaries, lexicons, thesauruses, etc., and they are never used as synonyms for each other.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the request.

Edited by TYA

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want a word that means both "example" and "purpose" at the same time.  I don't think there is any such thing--at least not in English, as "example" and "purpose" have no real semantic overlay (shared meaning).

I looked both words up in 40+ English dictionaries, lexicons, thesauruses, etc., and they are never used as synonyms for each other.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the request.

It was a matter of curiosity for me whether there was a word such as this, not in English, but in the original languages that the Bible was written in. I was also not aware of any word which encapsulates this meaning in English, but my thought process here is that at least what I understand about the Hebrew language is that it is in some regards simpler in terms of its meanings for words. English is a language that gets undoubtedly specific depending on what context you are looking at, but as I said, I do not believe Hebrew to be a language like this. So of course my natural curiosity was whether there was a Hebrew word like this, but upon thinking about it I decided I would be open to looking at words in the other original languages that the Bible was written in.

True, in the original languages (as also in English), there are homonyms--words with multiple meanings, sometimes unrelated.

Here might be something to take a look at.  This word προθέσεως below is translated "purpose" in Act 27:13, and the BDAG Lexicon gives it a meaning that might come close to "example" here.

1. setting forth of someth. in public,  setting forth, putting out, presentation (Pla. et al.; ins; Sb 5252 [pap. of 65 AD regarding the farming out of the fees fr. a temple of Isis: ln. 19 φαγεῖν ἐκθέτου οὔσης τῆς προθέσεως]. On the cultic use of the verb προτίθημι in Diocles [Athen. 3, 110b] cp. Dssm., B 155f [bS 157]; on πρόθεσις τ. ἄρτων s. UPZ 149, 21, vol. I pp. 638–40) of the ‘sacred bread’, lit. loaves of presentation οἱ ἄρτοι τῆς προθέσεως (ἄρτος 1b) Mt 12:4; Mk 2:26; Lk 6:4 (all three 1 Km 21:7). ἡ πρ. τῶν ἄρτων in a concrete usage, the furniture for the presentation of the bread, the table for the sacred bread, despite the presence of τράπεζα in the immediate context, with which it is identical (cp. Ex 25:23–30; Lev 24:6) Hb 9:2. Some exegetes here take πρ. in the abstract sense = presentation of the showbread.
2. that which is planned in advance, plan, purpose, resolve, will (Aristot. et al; Polyb. 1, 26, 1 and oft.; Plut., Mor. 960f; ins, pap; 2 and 3 Macc; EpArist, Philo; Jos., Ant. 18, 272; 19, 190).
a. of humans 2 Ti 3:10 (here perh. w. a turn toward the mng. way of thinking; cp. Polyb. 4, 73, 2 ἡ πρ., ἣν ἔχει πρός τινα; cp. PTebt 27, 81 [113 BC]). ὁσία καὶ ἄμωμος πρ. 1 Cl 45:7. ἡ πρ. τῆς καρδίας purpose of heart, i.e. devotion Ac 11:23 (cp. the Stoic thrust Epictet. 2, 8, 29; 4, 6, 26). τῆς πρ. κρατεῖν obtain one’s purpose 27:13. κατὰ πρόθεσιν according to purpose (Polyb.; PTebt 27, 81 [iI BC]; 3 Macc 5:29; EpArist 199) w. gen. κατὰ πρόθεσιν εὐνουχίας in accordance with the resolve to remain unmarried Agr 18.
b. of divine purpose (s. lit. s.v. προγινώσκω 2) οἱ κατὰ πρόθεσιν κλητοὶ ὄντες those who are called in accordance with (God’s) purpose Ro 8:28 (EBlackman, ET 50, ’39, 378f). ἡ κατ᾿ ἐκλογὴν πρόθεσις τοῦ θεοῦ God’s purpose which operates by selection 9:11. κατὰ πρόθεσιν (Philo, Mos. 2, 61) according to design Eph 1:11. Cp. 2 Ti 1:9. κατὰ πρόθεσιν τῶν αἰώνων according to the eternal purpose Eph 3:11 (s. αἰών 1b).— B. 1240f. DELG s.v. τίθημι. M-M. EDNT. TW.
  • Like 2