NEW! Ancient Christian Texts (15 volumes)

R. Mansfield

IVP’s Ancient Christian Texts (15 volumes) for Accordance is a series of new translations of full-length commentaries and sermons based on biblical books by Early Church leaders like Ambrosiaster, Origen, John of Damascus, Cyril of Alexandria and many others, most of which are presented in English for the first time. Through Monday get 40% off with introductory discounted pricing!

For more information, see the release announcement at the Accordance blog.

Screenshots--

ACT%20-%20Genesis%20-%20macOS.png?dl=1

ACT%20Revelation%20-%20iPad.png?dl=1

ACT%20-%20Revelation%20%28Greek%29%20-%2

Two more points worth making:

1. Ancient Christian Texts is a companion series to the popular Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. See the release announcement today for discussion of distinction between the two series. Needless to say, if you appreciate ACCS, you will also like ACT.
  2. ACT is a series I have personally wanted in Accordance for quite a while (as I also mentioned in the release announcement linked above). I have gradually been trying to weed down print books in my personal library for a number of years, much preferring digital over print for greater ease of use and portability. However ACT is one of about half a dozen series I’ve chosen to keep in print as well as digital. This means it pretty much gets my highest personal recommendation.

Hello. The description said that John of Damascus writings were included. Is that true? Is it De Haeresbius?

Also do they include the original language text?

I do not believe his writing is included. He is mentioned in the introduction (indicating that the patristic period includes him). It is a fresh English translation without the original text.

See https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=ACT-15

• Like 1

It appears that Michael is correct. John of Damascus is mentioned but it doesn't seem that his writings are included. I apologize for the misrepresentation. The inclusion of his name in the description was pulled directly from the publisher's website. I've corrected the descriptions on our product pages.

Interesting that the publisher’s copy references John of Damascus when he is not an included writer. My hunch is that the copy writer for IVP read the introduction that mentions the Patristic period as lasting through the time of John of Damascus and assumed his writings must be included. I don’t know that for certain. I also wondered if perhaps a yet-to-be-released volume might include a commentary by John of Damascus. However, in looking at his list of writings at the Wikipedia article, I don’t believe any of those listed are commentaries on books of the Bible.

Regardless, this is an excellent series, and today is the last day to get introductory discounted pricing. Sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!

I agree! This is the worthy level of quality one can benefit greatly from and be a few steps ahead of others with! Likely very few of us all over the globe have this series even at each one's local seminary.

Could be worth my spare money and give real character to my library! Price is not an issue for me, completely fresh translations with no competition are worth a lot, keeps one at the very edge of matters! Had I access earlier to these I would have written a review on the product page - if I buy right now I still could immediately start reading tonight and write one after first impression:

Regardless, this is an excellent series,

I didn't buy anything yet, but I'm nevertheless going to write one review on an individual volume product page, because I bought it tonight as printed matter. It cost a lot and there weren't many copies for sale, I bought what seemed to be the only copy at Alibris (seller Books Express) of th GJn commentary by Cyril of Alexandria. At first I, not because of the cost but because of lacking any real search capabilities, felt remorse, but then I look and saw that I have the 1880s Edition in the Orthodox Bronze base-package under the competitor's version 8. No surprise I hadn't read that, very old Edition! So I have a rudimentary search possibility, but really for reading the substantial content matter I need the 2-volume print volumes I ordered! I don't even have a tablet for Accordance and I rather wait with or don't install at all on my smartphone (not really tiny, but I need and want it to last so if I can cut down on usage that's good).
If the individual volumes come on a new resource-specific sale some day I buy something, and if not I eventually buy some volume full-price. This because of knowing where it is I pay my money, and I feel good about Accordance making a good cut on all my purchase patterns!

When I searched what has been published (ECF Cyril of A), I also noticed there's a print-on-demand Ezekiel exegetical commentary, so I ordered that. Plus when I double-checked that my order for GJn by Cyril of Alexandria was correct, by going to bookfinder, I found a 2007 monograph on GJn Cyril by Alexandria being sold in Australia - right now probably going to order it. EDIT: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3860688-st-cyril-of-alexandria-a-new-testament-exegete … do You think I should? Any other fans on here of the topic?

Anything scholarly made on or containing the writings of Origen is always good!

Third best seemed the Latin Commentaries on Revelation, though I often became hesitant whether it's something I'd ever be able to discuss and also because I believe Rev was written some time 132-134 A.D. during the revolt, so the latest NT canonical writing.

EDIT May 21. 6:06 PM local time: added link, with question

Edited by Unix

...Third best seemed the Latin Commentaries on Revelation...

See also the fifth paragraph of the release announcement where I mentioned the significance of the Greek commentary on Revelation by Andrew of Caesarea.

• Like 1