miketisdell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I second the motions.

+1

• Like 1

+1!

I would buy this dictionary instantly… I'm quite happy with Accordance's interface… But Logos already offers the Brill Ancient Greek Dictionary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brill is super hard to work with and very expensive. They produce amazing stuff, but the price point alone makes it hard for Accordance to put work into it and sell. Not many will want to pay what they would have to offer per the publisher and the work they have to put into it to produce and tag and such. In the long run, it is not good business unless they can strike a VERY lucky deal with Brill. Most of their stuff is produced at a high price point because their target audience is academic libraries, not individuals.

• Like 1

In Logos are Brill products, so Accordance can too. 

they do have them and I have purchased several from them, but again, they are typically just e-books and are price pointed rather high. Logos has a broader palette and probably were able to get a really good deal with licensing. Since Logos focuses less on textual studies and more on number of resources, it makes sense for them to work in that realm. For Accordance, they have spent more time focusing on primary texts and doing complete searches etc. Logos also has a much broader audience and multiple companies within their system. Accordance has stayed with what they do best and have done it well. That is why I always say here that Accordance needs to not focus on books but rather focus on more primary texts. Logos is a library, Accordance is an analytical platform

• Like 1

I see your point, but to work with primary text the dictionaries are the companion. If I adapt it to your point with primary texts, then Accordance should have the Brill dictionaries not Logos.

They should have the dictionaries yes, but remember, the price point is a huge factor. If you look at some of the other high end dictionaries, they are still cheaper than Brill products...

Honestly, the publishers need to produce ebook variants with basic function in a publicly published format so tool vendor can license and consume them more easily and affordably. Yeah I know ... back to the barn :)

• Like 2

Honestly, the publishers need to produce ebook variants with basic function in a publicly published format so tool vendor can license and consume them more easily and affordably. Yeah I know ... back to the barn :)

Agreed, however Brill's target audience is not individuals, it is institutions and academic facilities which is a whole different ballgame

Yeah I get that and that's a business call. But their product in electronic form is more serviceable to their target audience than in print form anyway - scholars who actually use the book would I'm sure prefer a decent search ability over print. Further, most books are produced with at least some measure of computer assistance, dictionaries with a considerable amount. They probably aren't that far off. And mixed pricing models of institutional vs individual are used in many places. I realize it's not up to you or me :) I should probably try to find someone in the business of publishing such works and propose the idea and see if it sinks or swims. It's not an insurmountable technical problem certainly. It might even increase sales, though it could also reduce some institutional sales perhaps if scholars started getting individual copies. It makes me wonder about enterprise licensing for Accordance and so on. Anyhow, straying rather now.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Agreed. And if Logos offered a buy a title and use the tool model I would probably consider it, but every time I checked with them I have to buy into a package etc. etc. So would I buy it in Acc at that price point - sure.

Thx

D

Odd: I just noticed that the obvious abbreviation for Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is BDAG. It would have been better if they had chosen a different name, like Brill Lexicon of Ancient Greek.

With regard to the topic, all I ask is that Oak Tree try to get this dictionary. If they can't, we know Brill is not easy.

I've bought a few books from Logos—and I've never bought a package—but I wouldn't want to do it with a dictionary, because I couldn't amplify to it. If I can't have the convenience of having this dictionary from Accordance, I'd probably get the app for the Italian original. It's less than half the price of the Logos resource.

• Like 1