Finding frequent phrases

tim.mcninch

I'd love to be able to list common phrases by frequency in a particular book, or in the HB overall. Anyone know if there's a way to search for, say, two-word phrases, three-word phrases, four-word phrases... and see what the most frequent ones are? Then I could build a vocabulary list of full phrases, rather than just isolated words. Suggestions?

Phrases as such are not defined, so you cannot get a count of any and all phrases. You can look for phrases that are repeated within a Scope such as a chapter (Book would be a very slow search) and this would give you a clue as to which specific phrases to search for.

Here is an example of a search for two-word phrases repeated within a chapter of Genesis, and the WITHIN allows for one word separation such as a particle.

Phrases.png

However the Analysis still gives you words not phrases so you will need to check the count of both lists of words and guess which phrases occurred most often.

Phrase analysis.png

Thanks for your help, Helen. That gets me partly down the road! Using the analysis window doesn't help much, but I can scroll through the results in the main panel to see them in context. That's something! I'll keep fiddling to see if there's a way to get what I'm looking for...