Hebrew search results

Pascual

I watched this Accordance podcast on basic Hebrew searches:

https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=156493

In the video he started at Gen 1:3 and chose the word וַיֹּ֥אמֶר  for the search.

He right clicked on וַיֹּ֥אמֶר  and choose Search ForLexeme.

This appeared in the search box:

=וְ =אמר־1

He removed the first part of the search string and was left with this:

אמר־1

The result was 5365 hits.

He then clicked on AnalyticsAnalysis. It showed 4379 verses, 5365 total words. Number of different forms = 74. And those forms were listed in the analysis window.

When I do the exact same thing (or what I think is the exact same thing), the analysis shows 4379 verses, 5365 total words. Number of different forms = 2.

His search showed 74 forms; mine shows 2. I assume I’m making a mistake or may have a wrong setting, but can’t figure out why the different result. Any ideas?

i tried the same thing and got the same results as you did

Thank you, Dick, for your time and feedback.

In the podcast, Tim has set his Analysis to, by default, include inflected information as well as lexical.  You can do the same with a couple of easy steps:

1) In your Analysis tab, choose the gear menu in the right corner and select 'Customize Display'

2) Among other options, you'll see a large white table in the middle of the dialog.  The table has a 'palette' on the left from which to choose items, and a variety of columns, numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.  Your columns likely have the 'LEX' element at the very top.  Each column corresponds to a word found in your results.

3) Since we only searched for one word, the only column we want is 1.  Drag the 'INFLECT' element to under the 'LEX' element in Column 1.  This means Accordance should first show the lexical forms of each result, then break that result down by its different inflected forms.

4) If you like this display, be sure to hit the 'Use as Default' buttom before hitting OK.  That will set all future Analysis tabs of the HMT-W4 to show both LEX and INFLECT.

I hope this helps!

Joel, you're a genius (but you probably already knew that).

Thank you very much for your help!

All the best!