Lexical Forms for Greek of Pauline Epistles in Codex Sinaiticus

benjaminlwhite

Hi all - I'm working on a computational stylistics project and am trying to get the lexical forms of the text of the Pauline Epistles from ancient manuscripts.  This is fairly easy to do with NA28, Tischendorf, etc.  Just copy the interlinear into a txt editor and delete out ever other line (using a reg ex function), thereby leaving only the lexical forms line and not the actual forms.  No sweat.  But when you do the same for the manuscripts, the process is much more complicated because there are nomina sacra that the text editor doesn't recognize, plus there are the line breaks, uncial form, etc.  Is there a way just to copy the lexical form without also copying over into the editor the actual text?

Thanks.

Ben

Yes, there is a Copy As option that copies just the lexical forms. It's in the Edit menu and the right-click menu. That will be easier for all your texts.

Hi Helen - I've tried that.  But I get an error message saying "This selection cannot be used, because the selection cannot include both words and a verse reference."  I don't know what this means, particularly since I have the verse references hidden.  Also, I notice that the Accordance Help file says that the copy as lexical form only works for 15 words or less.  I want to copy the lexical forms of whole books!  Please help!

Ben

Yes, you are correct that this feature is limited to a verse at a time. If you just wanted a list of the lexical forms you could search the Words for * and use Analysis in Analytics to get a list and count of all the forms. However, I guess you want them in order of appearance in the text. You can get that in a column form for 200 verses at a time by selecting the text and under the Language button or the Amplify menu selecting Word Chart or Parsing. In the Chart the second column is the lexical form and can be selected as a column. For Parsing you can use Set Parsing Display to eliminate unwanted information but you cannot remove the inflected form, except by exporting to a spreadsheet and selecting the column you need.

I had the same thought as Helen, that you might want the hits in the order they appear. If not using Analysis.

That said I'd love to here more on the project itself. I am starting to look into stylistics. I'm working through Matthew Brook O'Donnell book.

Thx

D

Hi Helen - Thanks for your help here.  I tried the word chart option and can't figure out how to select the column of inflected forms.  It will only allow me to click on one box at a time.  Any thoughts here?

Ben

Simply drag down the column. It works on a Mac anyway, but I agree that shift-click does not select the intervening lines so it will be quite a pain to get a large number of verses. However, Select all, copy, and paste into a spreadsheet will again allow you to select the one column.

Helen - This must be a functionality difference between Mac and Windows.  Windows doesn't provide that option.  Booooooo!

Ben

It works for me on Win 10 with Acc 12.3.

Thx

D

It's interesting that Accordance "sees" the references even with them turned off in set text display. That's a little counter-intuitive.