Search ALL commentaries at the same time

Charles Grebe

I'm not sure how best to explain what I'm asking but I'd like to be able to search ALL the commentaries I have in Accordance at the same time. Is there a way to do that?

In other words, I'd like to be able to type in a single reference and then see all the places where it is discussed in ALL the commentaries. As it stands (at least how I'm doing it), every time I have a passage I want to study, I have to enter the reference separately for each commentary. This is time consuming and I miss things because it's too much effort to search each commentary individually. 

Any help?

Thanks,

Charles

Use the research box. Before your hit enter, use the drop-down menu (magnifying glass) to the left of the box.  Select 'Commentaries' and 'verse', hit enter.

post-5536-0-80054300-1558694969_thumb.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

As Paul said, you can enter the reference in the Research box. You can also open a Research Tab (File—>New Tab—>Research).

Or, just right-click on a verse reference and select Research—>Commentaries.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-24%20at%206.45.4

• Like 1

As another option, you could set your Live Click settings to use the Research Tab. Then, simply clicking on a verse reference in a Text would open all the commentaries in a user-created group.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-24%20at%206.51.4

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-24%20at%206.53.0

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2

:-) very good Mark, that last one was new to me...

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for all your help! I should have asked this question years ago. It pays to take a moment every once in a while to sharpen one's tools, or rather one's knowledge of how to use them.

• Like 3

It pays to take a moment every once in a while to sharpen one's tools, or rather one's knowledge of how to use them.

Indeed. This opens up new ways of working for me. I know I'm not using much of the capabilities of Accordance. As a senior citizen, I grew up in the age of books. My instinct is to use Accordance as a book repository, one where I can open any book in my library and organize my screen setup. I very much need to expand my "game plan" to include the tools provided by Accordance. I know they are there, and I've watched videos on many of them, but I simply don't go to the effort to learn how to use them well and incorporate them into my work flow.

• Like 1

Don't feel bad John, even a a techie kinda guy, I am constantly needing to refresh my memory on the features of Accordance that I don't use often.

You are in good company.

• Like 1

I also like watching webinars (live or recorded) coz you see people doing things in a different way.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

The info pane is also another helpful way I use Accordance to search for commentary on a particular verse. Unlike the research/live click if wont show me what the comments are untill I click on the module. What it does do is show me at a glance what commentaries have something to say.

• Like 3

Micheal, the info-pane will will always be my first point of reference. I take your point about 'at a glance' information, although the instant details (if switched on) will give you the first few lines of the commentary, if you hover it.  Another limitation is that the info-pane will only show specific parallel links to the text, not if the reference is in the the body of the text as a secondary reference.