Selecting words in biblical text causes Accordance to crash

Mitch

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

Accordance crashes roughly 30% of the time when I am using a biblical text (UBS5 or BHS) and I select a word (tap and hold) with the purposes of looking it up in a lexicon or getting further information. The app restarts but will crash again immediately if I try to select another word. This happens a few times until eventually I have to close the app completely and restart it.

Yep I see that on occasion currently. What version of the app are you on ?

Thx

D

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this one, but I think I finally see a report in our developer console providing some more details on the problem. I'm looking into this today and will aim to include the fix for this in the next release (1.4.4) as well.

• Like 1

I just fixed a bug that may have been the culprit, but without a reproducible test case it's hard to say for sure if it was the cause. For some reason, I've still not been able to get a single crash to occur on my devices.

Any specific information on when the crash occurs would be extremely helpful. I'm looking for a highly reproducible test case that I can repeat on my device and watch where it breaks in the code. That way, I can know for sure that the change I make actually fixes the problem you're experiencing.

Specifically these are the details that would be helpful for me to know:

1. Single-pane or dual-pane mode? (if dual-pane, which pane are you selecting text in?)

2. Which text module is open?

3. Which lexicon do you have Instant Details set to use for this text?

4. Selecting which word causes the crash?

5. How did you navigate to this part of the text? (scrolling, table of contents, or search?)

Thanks!

Hi Matt,

I've not usually found it to be highly reproducible in the sense that I can just go to a specific word in a specific module and cause it to happen repeatedly.

I have found that it can crash on selection of the word or just after selection of the word when the ID pane is supposed to be coming up. I don't know if these are the same thing. I have noticed it to be worse on my Note III phone running Android 5 rather than the Tab S3 running 8.

It's mostly single-pane in my case. I usually am using a Greek module, commonly GNT-EPT, NA 28 GNT, Josephus or Ralhfs LXX. I usually have the lex for Greek set to BDAG. The word in question varies a lot and one that failed once works later after restarting app. I have long suspect a memory leak, dangling pointer kind of thing or resource constraint on my phone. But honestly I couldn't turn any of that into a viable theory. I've tried installing minimal numbers of modules and such like but to no avail. I have noticed that some betas/versions appear to be worse than others but I don't know if that's is just luck. Navigation to the point in the text could be by any of the three methods. I don't think I've noticed any particular correlation.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

I agree with Daniel, the problem is not highly reproducible. I suspect that selecting any word in any text and navigating to the text by any means at all will eventually trigger a crash. I've taken a video of the problem to demonstrate it. This should show all you need to know. Admittedly, I was able to select quite a few words in this instance before it crashed. Sometimes it crashes after only a few words. In this instance it also restarted without a hitch and didn't crash immediately when I started selecting words again.

The video is accessible here: https://youtu.be/wFIsJgF8bE0

Mitch

Hi Matt,

With the latest open beta on my phone (Note III Android 5) I am still failing to get ID up on words. What is failing frequently right now is :

GNT-EPT

Mt 1 somewhere.

Tap and hold on egennese - just pick one at random

Will crash often.

I have sent a crash report.

Thx

D

Hi Matt,

This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest open beta - 1.4.4b1. Now I am able to bring ID with more success. I wonder if there could be something getting corrupted in persistent storage here. Just a thought and likely not very helpful but ... passing it on.

Thx

D

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Has there been any progress towards a resolution of this issue? I've tried using the Android version across multiple different Samsung devices (tablet and phone) but the problem still persists. It makes the app virtually unusable as it keeps crashing.

Thanks.

Mitch

What version of Accordance App are you using now ? And what version of Android ? I'm on Acc 2.1 now on Android 9 and 10. I don't normally have issues. I did have issues on an older device with more limited memory and lower Android version.

Thx

D

I just upgraded to Android 8 but it makes no difference to the performance of the app. It still crashes just as frequently.

How much memory have you got on that device ?

Also, it is possible to submit reports to dev from the device which may be useful. It will often prompt you to do that, depending on the crash. (You can actually view the report data before submission but it won't mean much to you unless you are software developer. If you are you can probably find the exception and that may help the devs.)

Is it crashing as soon as you select text or does the instant details popup once or twice and then it will crash the next time ?

thx

D

Memory is 4GB (currently about 2GB free). Internal storage is 32GB (currently about 7GB free).

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the crash reports. I just sent one through to the developer. I'm no software developer, so not much good me looking through the data :-)

The instant details pop up 3-4 times and then on the (approx.) 5th try it will crash.

This sounds symptomatically like what I was seeing earlier on my older device but Oaktree will have to check out the dumps and see.

Thx

D

I have exactly the same problem on both devices that I'm using. Neither are particularly old ... only a couple of years.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what Oaktree say.

Hi Mitch. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this problem so often. It's tough to say what "this issue" actually is, since it's not consistently reproducible across devices or even on the same device. The vast majority of Accordance users do not experience the issue, so it's strange that you're still seeing it so frequently, and it makes it tricky to say exactly what's causing it.

What are the exact device models and Android versions you are using? (For example, Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 8.0). Knowing this makes it easier to find the exact logs of the crashes you're seeing. Thanks for reporting this here so we know to look into it!

Edited by Matt Robertson

Hi Matt,

I'm having the same problem on two completely separate devices. The first is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet that is running Android 7.0. The second is a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone that is running Android 8.0. (I've also tried it on the same Samsung Galaxy S7 phone running Android 7.0). I have the same problem on both devices. In terms of consistent reproducibility, I have this problem every time I use the app. After the 3rd or 4th time bringing up the instant details of a word, it will crash on the next one. Just to repeat, this happens every time I use the app. It's extremely frustrating, particularly as I purchased the software primarily to use it on my tablet. I'm not sure why the "majority" of other users are not experiencing the same "issue" but I can only suggest that perhaps the majority of other users are not using the instant details feature on the Android app. I feel that I've waited pretty patiently for a solution to this since my original post over twelve months ago, but it doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

Mitch

Absolutely, I'll be working on this today now that I know this is still an unresolved issue. A few questions to help me diagnose the problem.

1. When you experience the crash, does the app crash immediately upon selecting a word or does it hang for a few seconds and then crash?

2. Which modules are you generally using when this happens?

3. Do you generally have the app in single-pane or dual-pane mode when this happens?

Thanks

Thanks for looking into it, Matt.

1. The app hangs for a half second and then crashes.

2. I'm usually using UBS5 or BHS (tagged)

3. I generally have the app in single-pane mode but occasionally in dual-pane with ESV linked.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This has always happened to me with Accordance for Android, currently on 2.1.3. I'm usually using my Amazon Fire 8 tablet running Android 7.1, BHS in dual-pane. It's probably happened with NA28 (Sigla) too. Just a week ago I was demonstrating Accordance to an interested onlooker, and it crashed on me when I tried to Amplify. Well, sad to say, but he got a taste of the everyday Accordance experience.

The bigger problem is that it usually takes at least three attempts to amplify or show a footnote. It will just select the word or superscript and not do anything else. It's hard even to select something. I don't like to do anything in Mobile Accordance beyond simply reading, because it's too much of a hassle. The navigation often gets reset to the beginning of the text/tool in a lot of scenarios.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to get an update on this please. It's still unresolved. I'm still unable to use Accordance on my devices.

Hi Mitch, thanks for checking back in. I've looked into this a good bit, and it seems to be an extremely obscure bug being triggered by something in the Android system only in certain scenarios and only on a few specific devices. For some reason this particular crash is not sending any of the useful crash reporting info that I normally get that I would use to diagnose and fix the issue. All that to say, I unfortunately really have nothing to go off of, especially since I'm not able to reproduce the bug on my end, which would be useful since I would then at least be able to see when I've changed something that fixes it.

I'll send you a private message to try to work with you more directly if you're willing to do so.