iPadOS ?

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I'm guessing it's a little early to determine the impact of this https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/03/the-ipad-finally-outgrows-ios/but I wonder about the multiple windows of an app thing. Multiple workspaces on iOS ?

Not that I have an iOS device but ...

Thx

D

• Like 5

Regarding multiple windows, I think this would indeed make multiple workspaces possible, but with only two on-screen at once, and with no tabs unless and until those are also implemented. Also note that while iPadOS adds the operating system support for multiple windows, the app has to change in order to take advantage of that support. How hard those changes would be depends on the degree to which the assumption that there's only one window was built into the code.

Typically, if an app is going to take advantage of a new OS feature, several months or a year will pass before it does so. The Accordance app still doesn't support drag-and-drop, presumably because it wasn't considered important—after all, you can just copy and paste instead. But in order to implement multiple windows, drag-and-drop has to be implemented first, because new windows are opened by dragging something (a module in this case) to the place where the new window should be. Another consideration is that this is an iPad-only feature, which has to compete for developer time with other features that would also benefit iPhone users. I would really like to see Accordance support multiple windows on the iPad, but my guess is that it will be a year or more before we see this feature. Drag-and-drop would be a sign that we're getting closer.

+1 for multiple windows!!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, from everything I can tell iPad OS is a specialized version of iOS, so it can do some extra things. Accordance should work fine on it.

+1000 for multiple windows. In my opinionated opinion, this should be a top priority. It’s been one of the major downsides to iOS Accordance (because of operating system limitations). I know having more cutting edge features will leave people on older devices behind, but they already have to deal with that for most apps. Example Pages for iOS requires iOS 11.

Does Accordance work with iPadOS

I was hoping someone was crazy enough to install the developer beta and try :). I am going to wait for the public beta.

• Like 1

I am waiting for public beta as well. I hear the developer beta is pretty stable for a beta. Would not shock me to see the public beta drop by the last week in June.

Being able to open two instances of accordance would be helpful for when you want an atlas and text open at the same time but they wouldnt be tied so still not ideal for when you want ebc and ebc notes open side by side, or two commentaries or study bibles to compare.

• Like 1

But you can then open a Text and a Tool (which is not sorted by verses references like Commentaries, Notes, Study Bibles) at the same time which is and newer was possible before.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Being able to open two instances of accordance would be helpful for when you want an atlas and text open at the same time but they wouldnt be tied...

Yep Fabian

Even a couple of lexicons.

Edited by ukfraser

From what one developer shared on Twitter, getting multiple window support is rather trivial. It’s possible iAccord already incorporates what is needed.

I've been waiting a long time for this. Let the accordance updates roll! Accordance on iPad has been crippled for far too long! 

Accordance on iPad has been crippled for far too long!

I agree but do think the latest release has been a major step forward and sorted out many of the fundamental issues and now has a good sound platform on which to build. so for me, its now up and walking unaided and building strength and im really enjoying using it now!!!!!! Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I'll be interested in hearing from those who are beta testing iPad OS.

To note, one of my developers who has installed the beta said the mouse support on iPad works very much like you would hope.  

Apple, by separating the iPadOS distinctively from iOS for iPhone has really made it clear that the user experience of an iPad is different than an iPhone, and I'm so glad.  The iPad as a platform has been hamstrung by such close association with iPhone (of course, not discounting that it's gained many benefits from such a large platform as well).  I look forward to what the platform will bring across all apps in the near future.  Also, while unlikely any benefit for Accordance, iPad apps can now (with some light tweaking) run natively on Mac — which will also likely accelerate many more productive, iPad focused apps in the future.

• Like 2

Great discussion.

Apple WWDC 2019 seems to suggest the following:

1) Apple wants the iPad to be the primary computing device for most people. If you are not a developer who need to use x-code, and not a professional content creator as in editing authored books that require the utilization of full version of word, or require the professional adobe premiere pro cc or after effects, then there is no reason why the iPad cannot be your primary device starting from iOS 13. If one notices that most of important features were not for the Mac or the iphone, but the ipad got the lion-share.

2) Apple clearly differentiated between the experience of an ipad and iphone. They are not the same thing. There is clear message that is sent to developers: the app for an iPad should not be limited by the iPhone. It is no longer acceptable to consider the iPad as a glorified iPhone and therefore, it is no longer acceptable that the same app on the iPhone be utilized on the iPad. That differentiation is going to grow even further in time.

3) Apple is pushing that the ipad and Mac share the same (or almost the same) app. Apple sees that the Mac and the iPad somehow belong to the same category in that it is a computing device not a mobile phone. And therefore, for most part, there should no reason that they share most the apps except the one that require most resources and power. That differentiation is even within the Mac itself: the new Mac Pro verses the typical MacBook Pro. But the most important difference is the direction of development. It is not about taking the Mac apps and using them in the ipad, it is about taking the ipad apps and using them in the Mac. Why? I believe the apps on the ipad are superior in usability and structure than the Mac ones. They are the future.

• Like 3

The big hope is the full Accordance on the iPad too.

E-Sword has to different apps for iPhone and the iPads.

Greetings

Fabian

Professional content creators and Accordance users will still need a desktop or laptop for full desktop versions of their apps. But, I can also see both groups getting a lot of work done in this new OS.

Perhaps in another 25 years the full version of Acc will be on Mobile devices, if this distinction even exists by then. In the meantime, I hope Accordance will take advantage of the new features soon, starting with multiple windows. I also hope they port the Construct Search to the iPad sooner rather than later. Lounging around doing complex searches on an iPad would be living the dream.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Sadly, Accordance does not yet support “multiple windows” in iPadOS. I think it’s something they can sneak into the beta channel in TestFlight for the crazies on iPadOS betas to test. Hint, hint....

I think the biggest challenge will be channeling calls to iAccord from outside into the appropriate view. I call something from the widget or click an Accordance url in Copied, Accordance will have to decide how to direct those calls. I’d suggest handling such events by opening a “new window”. I think it will ultimately rely on feedback from users on how they are actually using the app.

Y’all who want the full desktop experience on iOS, what specific features do you want to see?

At least, I’d like the research tab, timeline, syntax (though I don’t have any modules yet), and stacks. I would also like a tabbed UI like safari, even with the new multiple windows feature. Moving to support multiple windows should make it easier to then support tabs.

Y’all who want the full desktop experience on iOS, what specific features do you want to see?

In addition to your list, the feature i most miss is the detailed analytics. Some of those listed have workarounds. Analytics is the one feature i have to boot the mbp up for.

1) One thing I miss in iOS is not being able to do a lexicon search from an OL text and have the search bring up the lexeme and also highlight any references to the passage I started from. Lexicons are never infallible and are always somewhat based on subjective judgment. But it is a help to have the reference highlighted to see at a glance how the contributors understand the word in that context.

2) I would love to have something like the info pane on iOS.

If multiple panes are not in the near future, how about being able to open multiple copies of Accordance to be able to open multiple texts? I think that's already been suggested and would be a good temporary workaround.

DC

• Like 2

1) . . . and also highlight any references to the passage I started from . . . it is a help to have the reference highlighted to see at a glance how the contributors understand the word in that context.

Corresponding to "Include reference when amplifying from text to tool" on the desktop.

+11,000

• Like 2