• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,291 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; exploring in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Also not a scholar by any means, but still curious at 74! Just read a fascinating new book by Timothy Michael Law titled When God Spoke Greek, The Septuagint and the Making of the Christian Bible. Published by Oxford University Press.

That’s a very good book and introduction to the LXX. I hope that we can eventually get it in Accordance.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#22 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

I figured that your point was more along those lines, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it isn't just a matter of when the text was created. In Rahlf's case very recently, in the Leningrad case a long time back. At some point there must have been sources unless one accepts that the entire work was composed as it is - the whole collection by a single author or a number in collaborative effort. And it's different to merely assemble essentially complete component works into a collection than to edit such individual works pulling fragments (mere words or less in some cases) and then to assemble the collection. But I'm not a scholar (of any kind really) nor a text critic and I've yet to do more than kick the tires so to speak of the LXX. I tend to lean toward a diplomatic text (I'm rather fond of the Sinaiticus for example, despite it's fragmentariness in places) myself but I see your point concerning fluidity.

I'll have to look up Delagarde - got any references ? By Tog did you mean Tov, as in Emmanuel Tov ? If not could you post the full name any useful reference. My reading is long but the great thing about it is that it can keep growing :)

Thx

D

Yes Tov. My Mac decided to auto correct- You are correct, there certainly are other exemplars of MT type texts. This is noted by the editors of BHS and such as "other MSS." The print edition is based on one exemplar- the Len Codex. As far as Delegarde, I will dig up some stuff- Tov mentions him a lot in his Text Crit book 

That’s a very good book and introduction to the LXX. I hope that we can eventually get it in Accordance.

It's a decent book- Jobes is much better in my opinion but we all have our likes and dislikes

Cheers,

Matt C

#23 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

Yes Tov. My Mac decided to auto correct- You are correct, there certainly are other exemplars of MT type texts. This is noted by the editors of BHS and such as "other MSS." The print edition is based on one exemplar- the Len Codex. As far as Delegarde, I will dig up some stuff- Tov mentions him a lot in his Text Crit book 

It's a decent book- Jobes is much better in my opinion but we all have our likes and dislikes

Thanx

I think I have at least Jobes (need to make time to go through it) but may also have Tov's text crit. I'll check.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#24 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,291 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; exploring in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have Jobes as well—excellent book on the LXX.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users