Request to add Lampe's Patristic Greek Lexicon as well as Abbott-Smith's Lexicon available for Logos users

cheriw

Would you please consider adding A Patristic Greek Lexicon by G.W.H. Lampe (from B.C. 146 to A.D. 1100) as a tagged option to purchase? Also looking for Abbott-Smith's lexicon, which is available in Logos; it has LXX references and associated Hebrew word.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

I also would love to see Abbott-Smith available. It's a remarkable tool and ought to be part of the digital armamentarium.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Let this also be a request for Lampe's Patristic Lexicon. That would be fantastic. 

+ 1 (or even more!)  :rolleyes:

+1 - can never have enough lexica.

Thx

D

1. This thread should probably be in Module Requests instead of Original Languages. It would probably also be better to split it into two threads, one for each lexicon. My interest is in Lampe.

2. I looked into Abbott-Smith's lexicon to see if it might interest me. It does slightly, in that its concision might make it good for Instant Details. A lexicon already available from Accordance that shows Hebrew equivalents is Thayer. However, it looks like Abbott-Smith would not be hard to add. It has already been encoded in TEI XML and placed in the public domain: https://github.com/translatable-exegetical-tools/Abbott-Smith. This is probably where Logos got it. So it should just be a matter of importing and giving it the Accordance field tagging treatment. The main question is utility, to which others who know the lexicon better can probably speak.

3. Lampe, for those who are not familiar with it, is conceived as a supplement to Liddell-Scott-Jones. So it only lists words and meanings that are not in LSJ, and is meant to be used together with it. Despite this, it is a hefty volume of over 1600 pages, including front matter. It is of great use to those trying to read the Greek of the Fathers and Councils, and would thus be a fine addition to Accordance. Accordance's ability to look up words simultaneously in multiple lexica would made it easy to examine LSJ, Lampe, and others like BDAG and (if we can get it) the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek. If Accordance were to also improve its ability to work with untagged texts, it could become very attractive to patrologists.

At the same time we have to recognize that digitizing Lampe is a massive project. If Oxford University Press doesn't already have it digitized, I expect Oaktree would need to see a lot of user demand before they would undertake such a project.

• Like 2

1. This thread should probably be in Module Requests instead of Original Languages. It would probably also be better to split it into two threads, one for each lexicon. My interest is in Lampe.

2. I looked into Abbott-Smith's lexicon to see if it might interest me. It does slightly, in that its concision might make it good for Instant Details. A lexicon already available from Accordance that shows Hebrew equivalents is Thayer. However, it looks like Abbott-Smith would not be hard to add. It has already been encoded in TEI XML and placed in the public domain: https://github.com/translatable-exegetical-tools/Abbott-Smith. This is probably where Logos got it. So it should just be a matter of importing and giving it the Accordance field tagging treatment. The main question is utility, to which others who know the lexicon better can probably speak.

3. Lampe, for those who are not familiar with it, is conceived as a supplement to Liddell-Scott-Jones. So it only lists words and meanings that are not in LSJ, and is meant to be used together with it. Despite this, it is a hefty volume of over 1600 pages, including front matter. It is of great use to those trying to read the Greek of the Fathers and Councils, and would thus be a fine addition to Accordance. Accordance's ability to look up words simultaneously in multiple lexica would made it easy to examine LSJ, Lampe, and others like BDAG and (if we can get it) the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek. If Accordance were to also improve its ability to work with untagged texts, it could become very attractive to patrologists.

At the same time we have to recognize that digitizing Lampe is a massive project. If Oxford University Press doesn't already have it digitized, I expect Oaktree would need to see a lot of user demand before they would undertake such a project.

Fully agreed for Lampe.

The main utility for Abbot-Smith would be that it regularly gives the Hebrew terms that are behind the LXX use of any given word also found in the GNT. I have it in Logos but confess that I don't use it much. I imagine that anything beyond a quick consultation would need to be verified by looking at the LXX and MT so it's probably more a departure point for further study than an in-depth resource. I haven't taken the time to do a comparison between it and BDAG to see how it fares as a lexicon per se.

• Like 2

I agree with everything jlm and Donald said.

Regarding Abbott-Smith, it has been requested, e.g., at https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15395-%E2%80%9Cin-lxx-chiefly-for-%D7%A2%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%AA/?hl=abbottand https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/760-greek-lexicon/?hl=abbott  .

Also, the longer the lexical entry, the less useful it is in ID. So, Abbot-Smith and Danker would be nice in Accordance. By the way, there is a lot of overlap between Abbott-Smith's glosses and those in BAG/BAGD/BDAG. Sometimes a simple English gloss can't be improved upon. So, besides giving the Hebrew equivalents, it is still useful.

Michel

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I'll make sure this is added to my list.