The Hebrew Bible: A Translation and Commentary by Robert Alter

hosheafelix

Title: The Hebrew Bible: A Translation and Commentary by Robert Alter

Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.

Reason: A translation of the Old Testament that follows principles such as these (see below) that challenges modern-day translations can give wonderful insights for Biblical Scholars and translators alike. As a student of the Old Testament, I enjoy reading his translation and comments because I feel that the translation treats me, the reader, as a "mature" reader of the Bible. All in all, I believe this resource can be enjoyed by scholars and readers of the Bible that want a different "flavor" to the text.

Robert Alter's Ten Commandments for Bible Translators:

1. Thou shalt not make translation an explanation of the original, for the Hebrew writer abhorreth all explanation.

2. Thou shalt not mangle the eloquent syntax of the original by seeking to modernize it.

3. Though shalt not shamefully mingle linguistic registers.

4. Thou shalt not multiply for thyself synonyms where the Hebrew wisely and pointedly uses repeated terms.

5. Thou shalt not replace the expressive simplicity of the Hebrew prose with purportedly elegant language.

6. Thou shalt not betray the fine compactness of biblical poetry.

7. Thou shalt not make the Bible sound as though it were written just yesterday, for this, too, is an abomination.

8. Thou shalt diligently seek English counterparts for the word-play and sound-play of the Hebrew.

9. Thou shalt show to readers the liveliness and subtlety of the dialogues.

10. Thou shalt continually set before thee the precision and purposefulness of the word-choices in Hebrew.

You can read about a Christian scholar's comment on Robert Alter's The Hebrew Bible here: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/reviews/hebrew-bible-robert-alter/

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sadly, we've just been informed that Robert Alter's publisher doesn't license the rights to his works via electronic publishers. 

• 9 months later...

Sadly, we've just been informed that Robert Alter's publisher doesn't license the rights to his works via electronic publishers. 

I just saw the kindle version. Hopefully, it will be available in Accordance in the coming future!

• Like 1

I just saw the kindle version. Hopefully, it will be available in Accordance in the coming future!

The publishers of Alter's translation have had their own Kindle version available for a while. Sadly, they're refusing to license it to other digital publishers. But we'll keep trying!

• Like 1

The publishers of Alter's translation have had their own Kindle version available

And it suffers from the usual kindle formatting issues. ;o( 

we live in hope that sanity will prevail (just as oup eventually saw the light)! ;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1