Dominik Paszkiet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Dear all,

I tried to calculate the absolute number of words in Old Testament books (BHS corpus with Westminster Hebrew Morphology) with the formula: * <AND> [RANGE Book Name]

Are the words in the electronic BHS on Accordance Bible Software defined as character strings that are delimited by space characters or is each lexem counted as a new word?

Would enclitic personal pronouns ( e.g. אָבִ֔י), prepositions (e.g. בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית) and certain conjugations (e.g. וַיֹּ֥אמֶר) in the BHS-corpus be counted as separate words or is the whole construction (e.g. preposition + noun) conuted as one word?

I would be very, very grateful for an answer. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Dominik Paszkiet

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,800 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

There are several factors to consider in Hebrew word counts.

First of all, each prefix is counted as a separate word. Suffixes are NOT counted as they have no lemma which is the default search. If you want to include them, search for the inflected forms with "*" [RANGE gen 2:1].

Secondly, set your Bracketed words option (under the +) to ignore the words in brackets (keri) unless there aren't any as in your text, I think, the BHS-T with Apparatus. The HMT-W4 has them so those words will be counted twice if you do not ignore them.

Thirdly if you look at the Analytics: Word table in any language, I think it also counts punctuation in Total Words, so your method is more accurate.

• Fabian and Dominik Paszkiet like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BHS, word count, word definition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users