Word count and Word definition in the BHS-corpus

Dominik Paszkiet

Dear all,

I tried to calculate the absolute number of words in Old Testament books (BHS corpus with Westminster Hebrew Morphology) with the formula: * <AND> [RANGE Book Name]

Are the words in the electronic BHS on Accordance Bible Software defined as character strings that are delimited by space characters or is each lexem counted as a new word?

Would enclitic personal pronouns ( e.g. אָבִ֔י), prepositions (e.g. בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית) and certain conjugations (e.g. וַיֹּ֥אמֶר) in the BHS-corpus be counted as separate words or is the whole construction (e.g. preposition + noun) conuted as one word?

I would be very, very grateful for an answer. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Dominik Paszkiet

There are several factors to consider in Hebrew word counts.

First of all, each prefix is counted as a separate word. Suffixes are NOT counted as they have no lemma which is the default search. If you want to include them, search for the inflected forms with "*" [RANGE gen 2:1].

Secondly, set your Bracketed words option (under the +) to ignore the words in brackets (keri) unless there aren't any as in your text, I think, the BHS-T with Apparatus. The HMT-W4 has them so those words will be counted twice if you do not ignore them.

Thirdly if you look at the Analytics: Word table in any language, I think it also counts punctuation in Total Words, so your method is more accurate.

• Like 3