Grouping and Moving Floating Windows

Tom Childers

For sixteen years, I have edited an annual lectureship book of over 500 pages for Freed-Hardeman University. The last few years I have used Open Office or Neo Office because, in my opinion, they run circles around other programs. This year I am using Open Office 3 for Mac. One feature I noted in Open Office that I would like to see utilized in Accordance is the way the program handles floating windows. I run Open Office in layout mode, a second floating window called Navigator which allows me to move quickly to any chapter or subheading in the book, and a third window called Styles and Formatting which allows me to quickly format the text. Until recently, if I moved the main layout screen, then I would have to reposition the other two windows to get them off of the text or in proper placement with the main window.

However, in the latest version Open Office 3, I lay out the three windows, then if I want to reposition all three, I click and drag the main window and all windows move together. If I want to reposition the smaller windows, I click and drag them individually. It works "smooth as silk."

Imagine having this feature in Accordance. Have three or four windows open and by clicking and dragging the main window all the others would move with it.

If you have not tried Open Office for the Mac, you might want to give it a try just to see how they handle floating windows. The link is http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html. Once you see how well it works, I think you would agree that it would a great addition to Accordance.

OpenOffice3.tiff

That would be super-cool! ;-)

Archived