Copy to Clipboard Bug

Tony Lawrence

I first noticed when I used the Services "Insert Query" I would get an aberrant addition to the verse numbers within the copied text. The same applies for using Command-Option-A, "Get Verses"

For instance, if I were copying Matt. 15:7-13, I get the following:

7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: 8 “These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. 9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ” 110 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” 112 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 113 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted.”

Matthew 15:7–13

Notice the "110" where it should be simply "10" the same for verse 12 where it is 112. This is not consistent and doesn't happen every time. 

• 1 month later...

I too, am having this same issue. Even if I just go into Accordance and copy as citation. The only verses that have the "aberrant addition to the verse numbers" are where paragraph breaks occur. See example below pasted from Copy and Citation.

Colossians 1:1–8 ESV 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,

22 To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: 

Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

33 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, 5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, 6 which has come to you, as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and increasing—as it also does among you, since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth, 7 just as you learned it from Epaphras our beloved fellow servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf 8 and has made known to us your love in the Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue. I use 'Copy as Citation' a lot for sermon prep and occasionally find characters being repeated at line breaks. It doesn't happen all the time though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is still an issue with MacOS 10.15 and Accordance 12.3.6

Copy As Citation into any other app generates the aberrant addition of verse numbers where paragraph breaks occur. Here is a Copy as Citation and paste into Safari.

Romans 11:5–10 ESV

5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. 6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

77 What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened,
8 as it is written, “God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear, down to this very day.”
9 And David says, “Let their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them;
10 let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see, and bend their backs forever.”

• 3 weeks later...

I've been able to confirm, reproduce, and fix this bug for both 12.3.7 and the upcoming 13 release.  Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My copy function is not working correctly.

This is copy:

When they have finished their testimony, athe beast that comes up out of the babyss will cmake war with them, and overcome them and kill them.

This is copy citation:

When they haveinished their testimony, the beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them.

Revelation 11:7 NAS95

I have the latest version of Accordance, using Macbook Pro Catalina. The bug is that letters and spaces are missing in the citation quotations

Note the  "haveinished" I am copying the NASB, but have not tried other texts. I have noticed it copying other verses but not all verses.

Thanks for help. I am a 100% newbie for Accordance.

Should I have made a new topic??

Craig, you probably should have made a new topic, but it is fine.

This section is copying as citation just fine for me.  A few questions:

1) Can you post a picture of your selection, right before you Copy as Citation?

2) Can you post a picture of your Preferences -> Citation pane?

3) What app are you pasting into?  Do you get the same results pasting into these forums?

Thank you for your response. I am going to put my question on hold for a while, because it is intermittent, and I am overwhelmed learning the general functions of the program for now.

Here are the screenshots of the copy as citation failure.

It does not matter what program I paste into. The screenshot shows the citation paste into both the Mac text app and Microsoft OneNote. You can see here what happened it selected the first part of the verse then skipped characters in the middle and then copied the rest of the selection. It is inconsistent, but it will always drop characters somewhere. I have tried the GNT and NASB and the same thing happens.

I am so frustrated with Accordance! I have free Bible programs that export text better than this and with more formatting options. I NEED this feature to work! It is part of my routine for studying and message prep.

When it does work, I get formatted text that I have to reformat in my word processor. I can't imagine that other users would not be asking for better control of export formatting. I am new and I may be missing something but I have gone through all the options in Citations Preferences.

Does Logos have more control of export options? I was on the phone with them yesterday and inquiring about their upgrades for BW, and I only have 30 days to decide if Accordance will meet my needs.

My Mac using Catalina

Model Name:..................................... MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:................................ MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name:............................... Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:............................... 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors:...................... 1

Total Number of Cores:..................... 4

L2 Cache (per Core):.......................... 256 KB

L3 Cache:........................................... 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology:........... Enabled

Memory:............................................ 16 GB

Thanks for any help you might give.

Craig

post-32198-0-09992500-1576853260_thumb.png

post-32198-0-56924100-1576853267_thumb.png

post-32198-0-24272800-1576853277_thumb.png

Here is my guess. When you selected the text you also selected the space after the space and when you copy as citation you are getting the whole verse. Try highlighting the desired text and stop before the period. Then choose copy as citation and see if that works.

Here is my guess. When you selected the text you also selected the space after the space and when you copy as citation you are getting the whole verse. Try highlighting the desired text and stop before the period. Then choose copy as citation and see if that works.

Thank you for helping out! I would be glad if I got the whole verse when I copy part of the verse, but what I am getting is missing characters in the middle of the verse.

Edited by craigrolinger

Thank you for helping out! I would be glad if I got the whole verse when I copy part of the verse, but what I am getting is missing characters in the middle of the verse.

Sorry you are having this problem. I attempted to duplicate what you did (same text, same selection, etc) and I get the whole verse. 

My suggestion is to contact technical support. They are first class in their response. I've been an Accordance user for over 10 years now and have found them to be the best support of any software I use. Please don't give up on Accordance yet. It does have a rather steep learning curve at first but its power is unmatched. 

Merry Christmas!

This copy bug is an on going problem for me for a long time.  Very frustrating.  Here is a copy and paste from 5 different translations.  Notice that the ESV and the NIV both have the bug (verse 2).  But the other translations do not.

(Isaiah 9:1–7 ESV)

But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. 22 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone. 

(Isaiah 9:1–2 NIV)

“1   Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan— 22 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.”

(Isaiah 9:1–2 KJV)

“1 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations. 2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.”

(Isaiah 9:1–2 ASV)

“1   But there shall be no gloom to her that was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali; but in the latter time hath he made it glorious, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. 2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.”

(Isaiah 9:1–2 NASB)

“1   But there will be no more gloom for her who was in anguish; in earlier times He treated the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali with contempt, but later on He shall make it glorious, by the way of the sea, on the other side of Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles. 2 The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will shine on them.”