Josephus text

WhiteWings

I have a few question on how to use "Cross Reference Index for The Works of Josephus"*** and most effectively.

***=Or "Josephus Crossrefs"

I'll use this entry as an example: "1.27–33 Genesis 1:1–31"

Question #1

Is it possible click, say, Gen 1:3 and Josephus automatically syncs with that?

Question #2

When I hover over "1.27–33" I see text in Spanish. Is it possible to display that text in English?

All readable text like the introduction is in English.

Question #3

Is it possible to show the text mentioned under the previous question in a pane, so that I can copy and highlight? I just want text that stays visible when I move my mouse.

Edited by WhiteWings

#1 In short I don't have found a way.

It would be cool if we tie the Joseph Crossrefs to a Bible it scrolls with the Bible verses. So we can use the Crossrefs as joint which combines on the one hand to the Bible and on the other hand to Josephus.

Or if we Choose in the search area "Scripture" it will sync with that. 

Or a feature like the Notes where we can choose the scripture order.

Or a second (as he has done) Josephus Crossrefs which follows the Bible, This will (hopefully) then be possible also in the Info Pane. This  would also support the Accordance (Bible first thinking, but as Helen said they are not entitled to altert the Database of the Text or Tools. But why not ask the publisher?) This is also to realize for the other Crossrefs (Apostolic Fathers, Philo, Qumran etc. 

Unfortunately the Crossrefs for Josephus isn't possible as Crossrefs area in the Info Pane for Josephus.

Unfortunately also to put the Josephus Crossrefs as Own Tool in the Info Pane it doesn't work.

All above is also true for other  Crossrefs like Apostolic Fathers, Philo, Qumran etc. 

#2 Click in the Crossrefs and use Ctrl-T or the right klick and 4th from bottom. There you can choose your Text. If the Recycler Button blue it changes the text by clicking on a new ref. Is the Recycler Bottom grey a new Text Pane will open. 

#3 Click in the Crossrefs on the verse ref and a Text will open. Alternatively press Shift and then the Instant Details is freezes. Click on the Clipboard Icon in Instand Details. To copy.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Since Josephus has different versification from the Bible, I think the only way to get them linked side-by-side would be a Parallels tab. As it happens, BibleWorks has an OT-Josephus parallels file. Whether or not Accordance would supply such a file would doubtless depend on the level of interest.

Thanks for your lengthy answer Fabian.

#2 There I can set the text/Bible translation. I have/had no problem with that.
I see the text written by Josephus is Spanish.

#3 That's the Bible text. I want to do the same with the text written my Josephus.
"1.27–33 Genesis 1:1–31"
When I click "Genesis 1:1–31" the verses (in English) show in the pane.
That's good, that's what I want.
If I click "1.27–33" I would expect text written by Josephus show up in the pane. Instead  the Bible verses are shown.

Thanks for your lengthy answer Fabian.

#2 There I can set the text/Bible translation. I have/had no problem with that.
I see the text written by Josephus is Spanish.

#3 That's the Bible text. I want to do the same with the text written my Josephus.
"1.27–33 Genesis 1:1–31"
When I click "Genesis 1:1–31" the verses (in English) show in the pane.
That's good, that's what I want.
If I click "1.27–33" I would expect text written by Josephus show up in the pane. Instead  the Bible verses are shown.

#2 Josephus Spanish? 

#3 If I hover over or click "1.27–33" I get the Text JOSEPH-T (Greek) not a Bible text. By holding Command (sorry maybe Ctrl in Win) I see the English text in Instant Details.

Greetings

Fabian

The attached file is what I see when I hover over "1.27–33" 

When I click on "1.27–33"  I get a Bible text in English.

When I hover my mouse pointer over "1.27–33"  I see the attached text in the Instant Details pane.

EDIT

I wrote several time Josephus text in Spanish.

I might be wrong about that.

It likely is Exodus 2:5-12 in Spanish.

When I click on it those verses open in English.

That doesn't make it less weird because why would Spanish Exodus verses be  linked to Josephus personal writings concerning Gen 1:1-31?

post-35396-0-17411000-1565522728_thumb.png

Edited by WhiteWings

Have deleted and reinstalled the Josephus Crossrefs?

If this not works I have another tip. Where in the library is your Josephus Texts? Are thy under the default one you use as Bible?

Greetings

Fabian

I have reinstalled but that makes no difference.

Josephus is part of Greek Discoverer.

I don't know exactly where it is in my library. I can find it with the search tool but not in the library list which is quite long. 

If you find it with the search there is a right click on it to show in library. 

It should be under the Bible which you have set as default. Then it is good. So simply put you default on top. (This is true also for the Lexicons https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26575-triple-click-causes-accordance-to-stop-responding/?p=131014)

But the Josephus Crossrefs should be hardcoded (if I'm correct) so this should be not an issue, but who knows.

The two Josephus Texts are in the Library? Do you find them?

Another task, can be to close Accordance and open it in Save mode. Then check the first and the different Cashes. And run Accordance. http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win12/Default.htm#topics/10_ref/db/db_safe_mode.htm#kanchor491

Edited by Fabian

When I use the search function in the library I only find Josephus Crossrefs.

I didn't find the JOSEPH-T you mentioned.

The full name of the module as shown inside the introduction of the Joseph Crossrefs is:

The Comprehensive

Bible

Cross Reference Index for The Works of Josephus

Edited by T. E. Clontz & J. Clontz

Hollywood, Florida
Cornerstone Publications

Maybe I have to buy additional modules, because I want the cross referenced text of Josephus in English?

And Philo, because he's another favorite of mine.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=JOSEPH

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=PHILO-E

But before I pay for them I have to know I somehow don't have them already in Accordance; and they just don't show up because I misconfigured Accordance. (To my best knowledge I didn't configure anything after a complete reinstall a week ago)

I also must know for sure it cross references with Bible verses. That's what's interesting to me. Not the text itself because that I already have because it's in the public domain.

So... if any of the staff is reading this, could you please check my purchases and tell me which modules I have to buy to so that when I click on Gen 1:1 I see what Philo and Josephus have written on that. Could be seperate books, but if you sales pitch is good you may convince me buying a slightly bigger package :-)

If things can be done/explained via this forum it's fine with me. I just feel I'm wasting a lot of other people's time. Fabian gave no doubt great and correct answers but my progress is zero so far.

Edited by WhiteWings

Hi WhiteWings

My strong suspicion is that you do not have Josephus texts in either English or Greek. You can check by logging into your online account and looking for the JOSEPH or JOSEPH-T modules, the former being the English and the notes and the latter the Greek. Login to the Accordance website and go to My Account and then to My Products.

A quick play with the Josephus Crossrefs which appears to be part of the Comprehensive Bible Crossrefs by Clontz and Clontz it seems that it is indexed to scroll in parallel with Josephus texts not the bible. So it's really about looking up bible refs while reading Josephus not the other way around.

I checked the Set Tool Display for the crossrefs and you can set the texts that are used for biblical refs but it does not seem that you can see those for the Josephus refs. I can only get them to show the Josephus English text but not the Greek. I suspect that's just how the module is set up. Finally, why are you seeing the Almeida bible ref; I suspect that is a consequence of not having a Josephus text available and it is just looking up incorrectly in the first text is can find. This is something of a guess. It would really represent a bug if that's what's going on though. In any case you should be able to check if you have either of the Josephus text modules in your account.

If no-one from Accordance responds today, you can call the support line on Monday and see.

Thx

D

I have both "Josephus Crossrefs" and "Comprehensive Bible Crossrefs by Clontz and Clontz"

What happens if I click in "Josephus Crossrefs" I described above.

But if I click in "Comprehensive Bible Crossrefs by Clontz and Clontz" Accordance informs me that I don't have the required module installed and offers me to open the relevant shopping page.

Ideal would be if the cross refs scroll with the Bible. But I have to admit I only read external sources when I'm stuck on a certain verse or book. Then I check if those ancients can shed some light on the matter.

I can simply type 1:1 in the search box on the bottom right and the module shows links to the commentaries.

I hope next Tuesday a nice relevant bundle will be on sale :-)

Ok I've just figured out how it will scroll in parallel to a bible text. I thought of this after my post and then Helen in the other thread confirmed it worked this way, but could not figure it out. I have just gone back and I see now.

You open the Comprehensive Crossrefs in parallel to say LXX and then it will scroll. I couldn't initially see the Josephus Antiq 1:27-33 ref you were looking for but it turns out that the CC is organized first by bible verse and then by topic. So this xref to Josephus appears under Topical Notes Concerning : Creation. And there indeed if you have the module it will show the English Josephus text when you mouse over it.

So it looks like the Comprehensive Crossref is organized by bible verse ref. But the extracts by work are organized by that works references, so say Josephus Crossrefs is organized by Josephus reference, to go the opposite direction. So it appears that the xrefs can be used in either direction. Same for Philo and no doubt others. Nice.

Thx

D