SALE! Ancient Voices Still Speak Today

R. Mansfield

Save up to 50% off regular prices on wisdom that stands the test of time! 

I keep looking at the ancient christian doctrine set.

In paper, i have a couple of volumes by Frances young and the trilogy by john behr (for an orthodox perspective) so the history is fairly well covered.

I also have the two volumes by j Stevenson revised by frend which has lots of quotations from the fathers. But for me, they are a bit disjointed and dont include text linking the various arguments making them quite hard work (even with plenty of coffee).

Does the christian doctrine set just give quotes that support the various creedal statements or does it deal with the creedal dialogue/arguments/counter-proposals, for example those put forward by marcellus and arius

I think if you are looking for a text that is going to explore in depth the doctrinal dialogues and debates of the church fathers and those they disagreed with, then i think Ancient Christian Doctrine will (I suspect) fall short of your expectations.

Each of the 5 volumes has a quite comprehensive overview of the volume contents and at times they do delve in to the debates that the volume covers. But most of the time this is introductory in the broadest sense, and seems to be designed to give context to the numerous quotes which make up the bulk of the volumes. These quotes are categorised by the sections of the Nicene creed and do include a one page summary of the historical context as well as an overview of the content of the quotes in the form of a) a single sentence summary of the main point/idea the quote is intended to convey and B) the source/author of the quote. Reading these with coffee is good but if you are well rested then the context notes should see that coffee is not required.

Ancient Christian Doctrine like the Ancient Christian Commentary Series appears to have as one of its audience those new to the church fathers. This is not say there isn't depth but you would use this a a stepping stone to more niche/in-depth treatments.

• Like 1

Many thanks Michael, that is what i suspected, hence the question.

;o)

LAST CALL for discounts on early church and other historical resources, including the new OUP title, READING THE BIBLE WITH THE FOUNDING FATHERS. The Accordance ANCIENT VOICES STILL SPEAK Sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!