drmatt.thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hi all,

I am really enjoying getting familiar with Accordance after 20+ years using BW. I use Accordance in my teaching, and--overall--I have found the learning curve to be not too steep for most things, and I'm starting to learn some more advanced features. So, thank you all.

I use the SBL Hebrew keyboard (SIL layout) (https://www.sbl-site..._SBLHebrew.aspx) for typing Hebrew for publications, handouts, etc. I would love for that keyboard to be an option for use in Accordance. In the screenshot, you can see that the Israeli keyboard layout is an option for Hebrew input, but I have found that for scholars in English-speaking countries, the SBL keyboard seems to be more intuitive and useful. My experience with the default Accordance (Yehudit?) keyboard is that it is not at all intuitive for letters outside those with clear phonetic links to English. For example, using 'o' for ayin/ע makes no real sense.

Given that the keyboard is openly available from the website I linked above, I hope that it could be included as an option for those of us who search frequently in Hebrew.

שׁלום and thanks!

Attached Files

• mgvh and Fabian like this

#2 miketisdell

miketisdell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

If have not yet learned to touch type in Hebrew, I would encourage you to use the Israeli keyboard because it is the same layout on almost every device and OS. Some devices do not support adding a custom layout.
Note: it would be nice if Accordance allowed some of the standard Israeli keyboard features. (especially the nekkud).

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,804 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

If you switch the system keyboard to Hebrew entry on both Windows and Mac, it will use the chosen Unicode keyboard for entry in Accordance and should work for all characters. This is a newer option than the Use Israeli Keyboard in the Preferences, but it does require you to switch the keyboard each time.

• miketisdell likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 justinjevans

justinjevans

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

I use the SIL keyboard all the time in Accordance.

My computer is set to switch keyboard languages by pressing ALT+SHIFT. I think this is a default setting--I can't remember since I've been doing this for 15+ years. This allows me to type in Hebrew using the SIL layout in any program on my computer, including Accordance.

If I'm doing a search in BHS, I just press ALT+SHIFT and begin typing away. No problems!

#5 drmatt.thomas

drmatt.thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

I did discover changing the keyboard on my computer (I use Window + Space to toggle keyboards). I don't mind doing that, but it would be nice to have the option to have that keyboard mapping as the default in the program. It would eliminate forgetting to change the keyboard back and such. Not a huge inconvenience, but one nonetheless. Thanks all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hebrew, keyboard, sbl, text entry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users