Strong's number for the verb מוֹט

Elijah

In the following three Verses the Verb מוֹט doesn't have the Strong's number 4131 that the verb has normally and I'm wondering why that is the case. The entries in BDB don't seem to be related to 4131, at least they aren't verbs.

Ps 66:9; Psa 121:3; Lev 25:35

Psa. 66:9 ‏ הַשָּׂ֣ם נַפְשֵׁ֭נוּ בַּֽחַיִּ֑ים וְלֹֽא־נָתַ֖ן לַמּ֣וֹט רַגְלֵֽנוּ׃
Key: 4132

Psa. 121:3 ‏ אַל־יִתֵּ֣ן לַמּ֣וֹט רַגְלֶ֑ךָ אַל־יָ֝נ֗וּם שֹֽׁמְרֶֽךָ׃

Key: 4132

Lev. 25:35 ‏ וְכִֽי־יָמ֣וּךְ אָחִ֔יךָ וּמָ֥טָה יָד֖וֹ עִמָּ֑ךְ וְהֶֽחֱזַ֣קְתָּ בּ֔וֹ גֵּ֧ר וְתוֹשָׁ֛ב וָחַ֖י עִמָּֽךְ׃
Key: 4134

(I checked HMT-W4 and BHS-T)

Edited by Elijah

The Strong's numbers are not directly associated with the original language texts unless the text is specifically tagged with Strong's. The Strong's numbers you seen within an original language text are because of an association to a tagged text (i.e. ESVS, NAS95S, NKJVS). 

ok, so it seems like an issue with the tagged text. If I open ESVS at Psa. 66:9 and triple click on "slip" word then I get to the wrong entry (4142). In my case it uses Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament (KM Hebrew Dictionary):

GK H4573 | S H4132   מוֹט   moṭ   4x
n.[m.] [4572]. carrying frame; pole; yoke bar.
☞  NIV | ESV | HCSB | NRSV | JPS | NKJV | KJV

If I triple click on the Hebrew text (HMT-W4) then it takes me to the correct BDB Entry:

4131    † [מוֹט] vb. totter, shake, slip

Is this an error in the Strong's numbers of ESVS or am I missing something? I get the same with NRSV and NIV11-GK.

With NAS95S it takes me to NAS Hebrew Dictionary to the correct entry (4131. מוֹט mot).

I'm normally not using the Strong's numbers, but I'm relying on them in flash cards to be able to search quickly by key numbers in the vocab learning app. I'm using the Detail Window to get the Strong's number (which says it's from ESVS).

Edited by Elijah

OK, the mystery is solved, but the problem remains. The original Strong's numbers were applied to the KJV. James Strong's Concordance was a huge advance in its time, but frankly there are errors in it, compared to the newer studies of the Hebrew Scriptures, and there may also be errors in the way the KJVS was tagged with the numbers. They should not be relied on, they are only a tool to help a non-scholar get to the original words.

The Key number texts which we ourselves tagged were based on the KJVS tagging, although we do our best to correct and update as needed. If you really want to use numbers I recommend those done by other publishers. Lockman added in many numbers to Strong's when they tagged the NAS95S. Mounce and Kohlenberger used the GK system developed for the NIV which is even more precise, and is used at its best with the phrase tagging in the Mounce NT and the NIV11-GKE. The HCSB was tagged by Holman, but I don't think we have their final tagging yet on the CSB17. Of course, only the Mounce and Kohlenberger dictioanries and lexicons use the GK system, BDB uses the old Strong's.

Thanks for the background info. I think I will switch to NASB for now, since Mounce/Kohlenberger is only covering the NT. I didn't know how to change the source of the key numbers before. I changed it in the settings dialog under Text Comparison:

post-29973-0-82139800-1568265485_thumb.jpg

Now the correct key number is displayed:

post-29973-0-14559200-1568266012_thumb.jpg