Context of Scripture vol 4 & ANET

Leopold Green

I am always a little surprised that I find Context of Scripture amongst my most used modules, it is stunningly fascinating - vol 4 (supplements) has been out in print for 3 years now - please could you let me know if you will release it and any idea of timescales? I know other users have asked this so I think it would be a popular addition

I know there is Outside the bible which I also have and use but is there any chance of ANET? Your 'competitor' offers it at a very reasonable price and it is probably the only module they stock which you don't that I would find really helpful

Many thanks

• Like 2

COS was actually meant to replace ANET. I am surprised the publisher has delayed three years to release though. Strange

• 2 weeks later...

We would definitely like to have CoS vol. 4. Discussions with the publisher are ongoing.

• Like 6

that's great to hear!

• 9 months later...

I'm also hoping for Context of Scripture, Volume 4 soon. I would also consider ANET.

Is there any update on CoS4 Richard?

Is there any update on CoS4 Richard?

Yep. It's coming. Done deal. No date to announce though.

• Like 3

thanks!

Is "CoS4" the fourth edition of the same work being described--viz., "The Context of Scripture"--or is it a fourth and additional volume which adds to the existing corpus of work (a preexisting 3 volume work)?

Or, if I may ask it another way, what exactly would be the difference of me buying what Accordance currently offers--https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Context%20of%20Scripture, and me waiting and buying "CoS4"?

If it is the case that "CoS4" is just an updated version (i.e. new edition), then how much change will there be over the previous versions which are currently available--again, "The Context of Scripture" available for $200 here on Accordance, or "The Context of Scripture (3 vols.)" available on other non-to-be-named platforms?

Thanks

Edited by TYA

It is the fourth (additional) volume

• Like 1

Is "CoS4" the fourth edition of the same work being described--viz., "The Context of Scripture"--or is it a fourth and additional volume which adds to the existing corpus of work (a preexisting 3 volume work)?

Or, if I may ask it another way, what exactly would be the difference of me buying what Accordance currently offers--https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Context%20of%20Scripture, and me waiting and buying "CoS4"?

If it is the case that "CoS4" is just an updated version (i.e. new edition), then how much change will there be over the previous versions which are currently available--again, "The Context of Scripture" available for $200 here on Accordance, or "The Context of Scripture (3 vols.)" available on other non-to-be-named platforms?

As correctly mentioned in the previous post, we are speaking of the 4th volume in the Context of Scripture series, and it adds additional content. I am sure there will be an upgrade path to the complete series once the fourth volume is released. We would recommend purchasing the current series now, of course, since one should never put off buying new books or new computers unless absolutely necessary :-)

• Like 3

Thanks Rick for the explanation.

I just wish it wasn't all in translation. I like COS but it doesn't do me much good to get a whole bunch of material in English. Not Accordance's fault, but it would be a far superior tool if we had the original language texts and could hyperlink to the entry in COS- now THAT would be something

• Like 1

I just wish it wasn't all in translation. I like COS but it doesn't do me much good to get a whole bunch of material in English. Not Accordance's fault, but it would be a far superior tool if we had the original language texts and could hyperlink to the entry in COS- now THAT would be something

If it helps, I understand there are links in the other direction. An article says, "There are over 1200 links to other Accordance original language modules within COS; namely, links to the Ugaritic Data Bank, Northwest Semitic Inscriptions (INSNWS), and Textbook of Aramaic Documents (TAD)" (https://www.accordancebible.com/Context-Of-Scripture). However, that couldn't cover all the content (no Egyptian, for example).

• Like 1

I do know about that, But the entire corpus would be great. Any way to do that would make this well worth the purchase for me

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Great news! The volume 4 supplement has now been added to The Context of Scripture in Accordance. If you already have the previous three volumes, and are logged into the system, you should see a discounted upgrade price when you view the product webpage.

• Like 1