2 Qestions concerning dictonaries

markusvonkaenel

1 question

i was searching for עלב. Delitsch is using it in 2. Cor. 7.12. DCH or Big Kittel have it not. I found the word via Targums. A bit complicated. In the internet and Kleins dictionary (unfortunately not yet in accordances) the word available.

Is there a solution in accordance?

2 question

is there a possibility to set for the Big Kittel the Hebrew Entry as standard instead of the Greek word?

I prefer the Delitsch NT over the other translation. Most of the time I get quite good results with the Hebrew entry setting. 

We don't have a dictionary for modern Hebrew but there are plenty of apps that work quite well.

No, you cannot choose the Hebrew Entry as the default for TDNT. You can choose to amplify to it from a Hebrew word, and you can place it in a User Group and right-click to search all the modules in the group, or use the Research tab to do the same.

Thank you Helen.

שנה טובה ומתוקה

Delitzsch: וְלֹא בַּעֲבוּר הַנֶּעֱלָּב

One dictionary that has it in Accordance is:

Dict. of Qumran Aramaic (Hebrew/Aramaic Content)
עליב[Pass. ptcp. √עלב ‘to oppress’] adj. sad, depressed. רוחך כדן עליבא, (why is) your spirit so sad? 1QapGen 2:17.

1Q20 2:17  your expression been so altered, your mood so depressed? […] Surely (1Q20 2:17 - QUMENG)

שנה טובה
Edited by TYA

Sorry, missed something.

1Co 7:12 in Delitzsch: בַּעֲבוּר הָעֹלֵב וְלֹא בַּעֲבוּר הַנֶּעֱלָּב

"on account of the oppressor, nor on account of the one oppressed (made sad)."

This is also used in Delitzsch of 1Ti 4:10: כִּי לָזֹאת אֲנַחְנוּ יְגֵעִים וְנֶעֱלָבִים

"because of this we are weary and oppressed."

Again, I think Dict. of Qumran Aramaic (Hebrew/Aramaic Content) has a valid hit on this root, as shown up above.

עליב[Pass. ptcp. √עלב ‘to oppress’] adj. sad, depressed. רוחך כדן עליבא, (why is) your spirit so sad? 1QapGen 2:17.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Thanks Toma

That is in line with Klein's Etymological Dic. (Carta Jerusalem and on Sefaria). So no reason to buy something additional from Accordance.

I hope for the new Year 5780, that the Accordance Team take's minority problems into consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Dict. of Qumran Aramaic (Hebrew/Aramaic Content) has a valid hit on this root,

Thank you TYA! I did not know about this dictionary until this thread, but after reading your comment I realized this one of those tools I wanted that I did not know I needed before.