Zerwick

R. Mansfield

How about Max Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament? As far as I know, none of the Bible software companies have come out with Zerwick's little aid.

I'd love to be able to print out a page of the Greek NT with Zerwick at the bottom and create a better "Readers Greek New Testament" than the one Zondervan publishes. In fact, I'm surprised that no one has ever published the combination in hard copy. Regardless, an Accordance Zerwick module would be nice.

I used Zerwick constantly in seminary. It would be a very worthwhile addition, and has been suggested in the past.

• 1 year later...
How about Max Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament? As far as I know, none of the Bible software companies have come out with Zerwick's little aid.

I'd love to be able to print out a page of the Greek NT with Zerwick at the bottom and create a better "Readers Greek New Testament" than the one Zondervan publishes. In fact, I'm surprised that no one has ever published the combination in hard copy. Regardless, an Accordance Zerwick module would be nice.

There was never an official answer regarding this from the PTB at Accordance. I wonder if there's been any thought of making this available?

(and by the way, that picture of Joe Weaks in this thread looks nothing like him :-) )

The lack of "official" response reflects the apparent lack of interest from the other members, sorry!

The lack of "official" response reflects the apparent lack of interest from the other members, sorry!

Too bad. This would be quite useful to run in parallel with the GNT-T module or even to print them both out on the page.

The grammatical analysis may be superfluous if one has the tagged Greek texts.

But I would suggest Zerwick's Biblical Greek (this is offered by Bibleworks), which is very concise and would come in really handy if it scrolls with the Greek text.

Other suggestions, all of which I have in print but would be useful for computer use, include:

1. Blass-Debrunner-Funk, previously recommended in this forum. The premier bible software should have the premier reference grammar for Koine Greek.

2. Jouon-Muraoka's Hebrew Grammar would be a very good addition to Gesenius as it often supplements it and is certainly more user friendly in the sense of being more readable.

3. Since the full TDNT seems to be out, a good ecumenical alternative is Balz' Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament.

4. Since Accordance has the TLG unlock, the full Liddell-Scott-Jones should complement it. I'm deferring purchase of a license for the Intermediate Liddell, unless there are no plans to have the full Liddell as a module.

5. Bruce Metzger's Text of the New Testament would enhance the use of the apparatus modules for beginners in this subject like me.

And possibly, you might wish to expand commentary offerings beyond Word Biblical Commentary, NIGTC and Pillar.

2. Jouon-Muraoka's Hebrew Grammar would be a very good addition to Gesenius as it often supplements it and is certainly more user friendly in the sense of being more readable.

I'm not familiar with this grammar, but I would agree that Gesenius is neither terribly readable nor terribly user friendly. Grammar modules aren't currently very high on my wish list, but when I get to the point they are, I'd like some options other than Gesenius.

3. Since the full TDNT seems to be out, a good ecumenical alternative is Balz' Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament.
I wasn't familiar with this work either, but a brief look at Amazon has piqued my interest.

5. Bruce Metzger's Text of the New Testament would enhance the use of the apparatus modules for beginners in this subject like me.

I would whole-heartedly second this one. I don't currently have it on my shelves, but it's something I'd like to have. The apparatus modules are next on my wish-list, and Metzger's work would be a great complement.

And possibly, you might wish to expand commentary offerings beyond Word Biblical Commentary, NIGTC and Pillar.

Again, I would very much like to see this. The current commentaries offered are all pretty conservative in nature. This is wonderful for many of your customers, but rather limiting for other customers. If Word ever lets you sell their commentaries individually, I might pick up a volume or two, because the Greek and Hebrew exegesis is so thorough, but their particular theological slant means they aren't my first choice: I'm not likely to plunk down the money for the entire set for that reason. I would like to see Accordance add one or more of the following: The Heremenia series, The New Interpreter's Bible (and the upcoming New Interpreters Bible Dictionary), the Sacra Pagina series, and possibly the Interpretation series.

I'm thrilled that you offer the Anchor Bible Dictionary already. I haven't purchased it because I have it on my shelves. On my budget, I can't (yet) justify purchasing it in digital form.

• 2 years later...

I'll add my vote, esp for Zerwick's Biblical Greek (I think the grammatical handbook is superfluous with tagged texts) and BDF--even before the long awaited revision. It seems you've been heard regarding Jouon-Muraoka!

• 8 years later...

Zerwick, both of his books I have in paper, and since Accordance doesn't have them I bought them in Logos. Obviously with all the tools in Accordance, they may seem unnecessary, but using them just for help when reading the Greek New Testament is gold, and near seamlessly executed in Logos. Again, for ease of reading, not an in-depth study. Even "inductive" learning as one reads the GNT is achieved with both of Zerwick's works synched with a text.