ESVS vs ESV Website

kdetwieler

I'm trying to figure out how to get the greek to match on the interlinear feature in accordance.

The original greek on ESV website does not match what I see in Accordance.  I'm wondering if it's a setting or I'm missing a module.

post-35789-0-59686100-1570118482_thumb.png

post-35789-0-21938600-1570118491_thumb.png

We tagged the Strong's numbers for the ESV ourselves before they had this available, so there may be a few discrepancies. I'd like to assume ours would be correct in case of a discrepancy 

I would suspect that the ESV website is correct in most cases, but please do send in discrepancies to corections@accordancebible.com, and we'll check them out.

• Like 1

is the difference stems from the fact that you are comparing LEX with Greek Text?

Thanks for your responses everyone.  

If you take a look at the screen shots you'll see an example of what I'm talking about. Look at verse 4:2 for this example.

ESV (website) starts out like this with Greek:

καὶ γάρ ἐσμενεὐηγγελισμένοι καθάπερ κἀκεῖνοι· ἀλλ᾽ οὐκ ὠφέλησεν ὁ λόγος τῆς ἀκοῆςἐκείνους μὴ συνκεκερασμένους τῇ πίστει τοῖς ἀκούσασιν.

In accordance the Greek is like so

γάρ εὐαγγελίζω εἰμί ἐσμέν καθάπερ κἀκεῖνος ἀλλά λόγος οὐ ὠφελέω ἐκεῖνος μή συγκεράννυμι πίστις ἀκούω 

kdetwieler, 

The ESV seems to have the identical greek of Accordance. This is from accordance: καὶ γάρ ἐσμεν εὐηγγελισμένοι καθάπερ κἀκεῖνοι, ἀλλ᾿ οὐκ ὠφέλησεν ὁ λόγος τῆς ἀκοῆς ἐκείνους, μὴ συνκεκερασμένους τῇ πίστει τοῖς ἀκούσασιν

the difference that you are seeing is from the interlinear tool which does two things:

First, you are comparing the lexical rendering in interlinear. Turn Lex off that will help.

Second, the order of the greek words are changed to match the ordering in English based on strong numbering. ESV does not change the order of words, it simply puts numbering on them. 

In this case, if you do care for the extra information you get from ordering, then do not use interlinear, use another window for the Greek

Edited by danielamari

So I suppose my next question is, how do I see the Greek like you just described?  I want to be able to compare the greek from KJV and ESV side by side with the English visible as well.

What do you want to do is compare NA28 with Textus Receptus. The are two ways to do so:

1) Using interlinear function: enable GNT-TR in settings. But when it comes to the comparison, do not use the ESV or any English version, Select NA28 Greek and turn on the interlinear on that. This way, the interlinear will not rearrange the order of Greek words to match the English version.  (Also do not forget to turn off the LEX mode)

2) or better: use two separate windows: one for NA28 and one for TR.

post-35133-0-76310100-1570587917_thumb.jpeg

Edited by danielamari

So I suppose my next question is, how do I see the Greek like you just described?  I want to be able to compare the greek from KJV and ESV side by side with the English visible as well.

Honestly, the best way is to have parallel panes and format the panes as Separate Verses. Hebrews will be a bit of a challenge because the sentences span verses but it will be better than interlinear. I know a lot of people swear by interlinears but I never use one. Much better the of each of the languages natures to get used to it is.

My 0.02, YMMV etc. etc., of course.

The KJV is based on the GNT-TR/TRS and the ESVS is based on the NA though I don't know the precise version - 28 will be close enough I would think.

Thx

D