Accordance 13 Sneak Peek #2: PDF Import

R. Mansfield

Accordance users have loved creating their own content that’s fully searchable and integrated into their personal Accordance Library through our User Tool feature. To date, we essentially offered five ways to get content into a User Tool: typing it by hand; copy and paste from another source; and importing HTML, plain text, or TLG files (if you had legal access to one of the older CDs).

Wouldn’t it be nice, though, if you could import PDF files? And wouldn’t it be great if the ability to import PDF files retained fonts, layouts, font sizing and styles, in addition to automatically creating verse reference hyperlinks? If you’re like me, you have thousands of PDF articles on a variety of subjects. Wouldn’t it be great to have a convenient way to import these kinds of files into Accordance?

I suppose one can always dream! Perhaps it would look something like this:

import%20pdf.png?dl=1
  • Like 17

Oh, that is definitely useful!

—Joseph

I am drooling over here ...

Blown away by this. Can see so many applications.

Love to dream like that.

But, who knows, maybe some dreams might surprise us to become truth...

Roman

Brilliant - that opens so much potential for user texts (eg ANET, Dictionary of Deities) that it will be worth the cost of upgrade just for this!

I've spent so many hours formatting html files for import...

If this dream comes true, I'm not sure what I'll do with all my spare time! 

• Like 4

Rick you mentioned it before:-)

My questions are: 

1.Will it support Footnotes, Endnotes, linking from the TOC (not the Browser) to the heading?

2. Does it support full unicode?

3. Does it support images?

4. Does it support tables?

5. Does it support hover over for the scripture references? Which is not implemented if we open a PDF in the Accordance Webbrowser.

When wil the questions above (1.-4.) come to HTML import?

HTML Base64 import?

HTML import were the images are without Base64 in?

EPUB import with alle the features above?

I'm sure there was also more in my feature requests

Questions over questions...

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

My questions are: 

Fabian, I was just dreaming and asking questions in the original post. I didn’t offer any concrete promises for which I could provide the kind of details for which you’re asking, did I?

• Like 2

If I'm correct you mentioned ca. 2-4 weeks ago. PDF support will come. Not more not less.

The rest are my "wishes".

Greetings

Fabian

If I'm correct you mentioned ca. 2-4 weeks ago. PDF support will come. Not more not less.

The rest are my "wishes".

We hear you. Just can’t comment on specifics of unreleased software. You understand, I’m sure :-)

• Like 3

This sheds new light on a phrase in Joel's bio for the eAcademy: "Joel enjoys a good challenge." Converting a PDF like this is definitely challenging. Even something as apparently simple as figuring out the order in which to read blocks of text is nontrivial (unless there are tags to indicate the flow). I'm waiting to see how this dream turns out.

Edited by jlm
  • Like 1

I'm sure someone has to have already asked this....but, here goes.  Will be given an opportunity to beta test Accordance 13?????

Please!

Please!

Please!

Wouldn’t it be nice, though, if you could import PDF files?

Wonderful.  Absolutely terrific.  Thank you guys for all the hard work.

Edited by TYA

I'm smiling at the way you make it look like it was your idea, even though this has been a consistent request, nay demand, on the forum for years. :)

• Like 1

I'm smiling at the way you make it look like it was your idea,

In case you meant me (?), I never even requested pdf import, so I'm certainly not insinuating in the slightest bit that it was my idea.  I'm simply expressing gratitude for another awesome feature.

And I don't take credit for anything that gets done.  I just may be persistent about certain things I want, or think are important.  Again, this wasn't even something I requested, but I know the company works hard to satisfy its users.

Edited by TYA

In case you meant me (?).

TYA I think this was addressed to The Big Tease himself. Look at the second paragraph of the very first post in this thread. Like you, i am just pleased as pdf is a format i virtually save for everything these days.

;o)

• Like 1

TYA I think this was addressed to The Big Tease himself. 

I thought that too.

Like you, i am just pleased as pdf is a format i virtually save for everything these days.

Really, I hate this format and I have ever do since I know it. If there is a way to avoid it I do so. But it seems our interests are different in this. I have also published my Bibleverse mapping comparison not in PDF for the Accordance Exchange.

Greetings

Fabian

Fabian, once you open a pdf in acrobat, in the menu, there is an ability to view full screen. This means i never have to use powerpoint!!!!!!

Plus its brilliant in forScore with my airturn on my iPad! Sibelius stopped supporting their app so now i just convert my scores to pdf.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

My comment was aimed at Mr Mansfield and Oak Tree, for clarification. No offence was intended.

• Like 1

If I may ask all of your opinions, what is the easiest and best way to import a public domain (say, commentary) text into Accordance, so that it is cross-searchable with all other resources in the Research Tab, including verse references?

Now that we anticipate pdf import, would the best way be to create a User Tool (e.g. Didascalia, by Rick M.), or John Gill's commentary (both user tools), or would pdf editing tools make the pdf import a better option?

I've held off on learning how to do this (though I've mastered User Bibles, pretty much), since I anticipated another big release.  So, what would be the least time-intensive way to import commentary-like material into Accordance--specifically for us in the Research Tab?

Another question: will OCR capability be necessary / important / helpful to get the most out of pdf's that I import into Accordance?  Will Accordance rely on the OCR that I've applied to my document for its search abilities of my document?  In other words, will having a powerful OCR program enable me to get more out of search capabilities in Accordance when I import?

Rick, can you (or anyone else) speak to whether the pdf's will be cross-searchable with all other modules in the Research Tab?

Thanks

Edited by TYA

Fabian, once you open a pdf in acrobat, in the menu, there is an ability to view full screen. This means i never have to use powerpoint!!!!!!

Plus its brilliant in forScore with my airturn on my iPad! Sibelius stopped supporting their app so now i just convert my scores to pdf.

;o)

Thanks for your explanation of your workflow.

For the first I have a "Word Processor" which you can turn on a click to a Presenter, for the second, but it doesn't work on an iPad. Maybe an iPad App is coming.

Greetings

Fabian