Untying with Command Key does not make Scrolling Smoother on Mac?

OSchrock

When scrolling through a Bible text on my Mac, I always have the Info Pane open because it is so helpful. However, with the info pane open the Bible text does not scroll smoothly but jerks between verses (especially after I added a number of resources to the "My Toolset" section of the Info Pane).

When I use the Command key to temporarily untie the scrolling, the info pane pauses as it should, but the scrolling does not become any smoother. If I close the Info Pane completely, then the Bible text scrolls perfectly smoothly. 

I would have expected that when I temporarily suspend the tie by holding down Cmd, the scrolling would become smooth, but it does not. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is there a preference that I can change to improve this?

Someone else might have a solution for your problem, but it's been mentioned before that, with multiple panes linked together, Accordance tends to become jerky when scrolling. It's somewhat of a nuisance. I do hope that this problem will be taken care of in version 13! (And yes, this can be taken as a request!) 

Someone else might have a solution for your problem, but it's been mentioned before that, with multiple panes linked together, Accordance tends to become jerky when scrolling. It's somewhat of a nuisance. I do hope that this problem will be taken care of in version 13! (And yes, this can be taken as a request!) 

Thank you for confirming this. I know it has been a problem.

My question had more to do with why using the Command key to untie the scrolling wouldn't temporarily fix the problem?

My guess is that even though it doesn't scroll the Info Pane, Accordance is still doing all the searching required to present all that information on the top verse.

My guess is that even though it doesn't scroll the Info Pane, Accordance is still doing all the searching required to present all that information on the top verse.

That makes sense. It would be excellent if the command key would truly disconnect the text from all other panes.

Can this topic be moved to Feature Requests or do I need to open a new topic there?

I can't confirm this at all. I just opened an ESV along with an Info Pane, fully loaded to make it as slow as possible.  Normal scrolling is a bit jerky, as you note, but as soon as I hold down the command key, it is all smooth as whipped butter.

Can you post a screenshot of your setup?  Perhaps you have another tab tied to it somewhere?  Also, how are you scrolling?  Track pad, mouse wheel, clicking in the scrollbar, using the navigation arrows, keyboard shortcuts, etc?

I can't confirm this at all. I just opened an ESV along with an Info Pane, fully loaded to make it as slow as possible.  Normal scrolling is a bit jerky, as you note, but as soon as I hold down the command key, it is all smooth as whipped butter.

Can you post a screenshot of your setup?  Perhaps you have another tab tied to it somewhere?  Also, how are you scrolling?  Track pad, mouse wheel, clicking in the scrollbar, using the navigation arrows, keyboard shortcuts, etc?

Sure, this is just a simple setup. 

I'm using a bluetooth trackpad.

However, I noticed now something interesting: if I close the info pane the scrolling is perfectly smooth as expected, but, if I then hold down the command key (even with absolutely no other panes open), the scrolling becomes choppy again.

----------- 

EDIT:

That was in a saved workspace that usually has a text-browser pane syncing with the main Bible text. 

I just tried the exact same setup as my screenshot, but in a new workspace and there is no problem whatsoever with the scrolling when holding down the command key. Holding the command key results in perfectly smooth scrolling as would be expected.

It must just be a problem with my setup.?

post-31975-0-97605700-1570647665_thumb.png

Edited by OSchrock

I just had a theory:  When holding the Command key, your Instant Details does the 'heavier duty' operation, where it grabs statistical information and dictionary articles.  If you make sure your cursor doesn't go over any words when scrolling, is it still laggy?  Alternatively, try it if the Instant Details is closed?

• Like 1

I just had a theory:  When holding the Command key, your Instant Details does the 'heavier duty' operation, where it grabs statistical information and dictionary articles.  If you make sure your cursor doesn't go over any words when scrolling, is it still laggy?  Alternatively, try it if the Instant Details is closed?

Yes! You are correct!

If I go close the Instant Details or place my curser at the extreme edge of the text window so it doesn't pick up any words, the scrolling is smooth! (This also explains why a new workspace scrolled smoothly - it didn't have the instant details open)

Interestingly, I have my text width limit set to 5.5 inches and so have an inch or two of blank screen on both sides of the text, yet the instant details still picks up words unless my curser is at the extreme edge of the text pane. It would be nice if the instant details didn't pick up any words in any of that blank space. 

Thank you so much for letting me know what is going on!

Don't forget, you can also use the pane gear menu to 'Untie' it, so that it will scroll freely, even without the Command key being pressed.  Then, if you ever need it to 'sync' up with the Info pane, just command click in the verse you with to link to, even if its not at the top!

This way you don't have to worry about Instant Details or cursor position.

Don't forget, you can also use the pane gear menu to 'Untie' it, so that it will scroll freely, even without the Command key being pressed.  Then, if you ever need it to 'sync' up with the Info pane, just command click in the verse you with to link to, even if its not at the top!

This way you don't have to worry about Instant Details or cursor position.

That's great! I might switch to that method when perusing larger passages!

Off-Topic... It would be nice if the "untying" and "Cmd+Click-to-sync" would also apply to text browser panes, since I like to have that open as well, but it also slows down the scrolling.

Thank you for your awesome help!