How to Look Up Word in English Dictionary?

DoosanMan

Luke 24:10 is an example.   How do I click on, right click or whatever I need to do to go to a Bible dictionary like Eerdman's or Easton's to read about Joanna?   The only way I can accomplish it is to go open a dictionary and do a separate search.   Thank you.

Hold down the Command key while you hover over the word to see it in Instant Details, or hold down the Shift key while you triple-click on the word to open it in your default dictionary (set in the "Amplify" section of the Accordance Preferences).

Edited by Mark Allison

First, determine the default triple click English tool in the Amplify section of the Preferences settings. Eerdmans is a great choice. :)

Second, on the word you want to check in the tool defined above, simply hold the shift key and triple click.

PS: Mark was faster and I forgot about Command-hover.  Thanks, Mark! I need to practice using command-hover. ;)

Edited by Solly

Other options... If your library is open with your dictionaries visible you can click any word and then if you hover over your library books you will see that you get a little look up symbol beside each dictionary. click that.  Alternatively you can drag the dictionary of your choosing from the library onto the tool bar and you can click any word and then the icon.    

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

You also use iOS so when using that.

Just click on the word and in instant details, just click on amplify in the bottom and then select word or key number depending on what you want to explore. Just make sure of the order of dictionaries you have in the library.

Thanks...that all helps.   I had my triple click set to Websters 1913 so that's why it would work on a Bible name.   I set the triple click to Eerdmansj and then used Pauls suggestion to put Webster in the toolbar.   This will work really well for me.

• Like 1