Commentary recommendation

Bielikov

If the Word Biblical Commentary is a good one at the macro level, what would be a great commentary on Bible backgrounds, that is conservative in its approach? Rejecting the documentary hypothesis and deutero-Isaiah and the like. Thanks.

For the NT I like Barclay's Daily Study Bible. He goes into quite a bit of history and background in his analysis of the scriptures. Also IVP and Zondervan both have Background Commentaries that are very good for both NT and OT.

• Like 2

As John says, historically, the two sets that have been regularly championed on this forum are: 

1. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (Old Testament and new Testaments) ZiBCOT, ZIBCNT

2. and IVP OT Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament /  IVP NT Background Commentary (2nd Ed.) 

I have both sets and use them regularly.  

I also concur that Barclays is excellent.
Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

I think the IVP and Zondervan background commentaries will work well for you, as John suggested. I also use several atlases and dictionaries to help with background information. There are many good choices among the offerings from Accordance.

• Like 1

It depends on what you mean by Bible backgrounds, and how wide or broad you want to go.

A Bible dictionary or encyclopaedia may be more appropriate.

I cannot comment on how 'conservative' it may be, but the IVP 'black' dictionaries may be something you might consider.

If the Word Biblical Commentary is a good one at the macro level, what would be a great commentary on Bible backgrounds, that is conservative in its approach? Rejecting the documentary hypothesis and deutero-Isaiah and the like. Thanks.

What is the main difference between Zondervan and IVP background commentaries?

I only have the IVP background commentaries. At least in this case, things like the documentary hypothesis and deutero-Isaiah are not discussed because they are simply off-topic. How the Scripture came to be in its present form is a question for another kind of commentary.

• Like 1

I only have the IVP background commentaries. At least in this case, things like the documentary hypothesis and deutero-Isaiah are not discussed because they are simply off-topic. How the Scripture came to be in its present form is a question for another kind of commentary.

Excellent, because what I am looking for is more of a backgrounds and cultural items. Thanks for the help.

The IVP are substantially cheaper.  You could start with them and wait until the Zondervan is on sale. Often the sales can be as much as 50% off. The Zondervan is rich in images, high quality colour photographs and maps throughout. They also have more material, the hard copies have around 8-9 volumes for the complete bible. 

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

The IVP are substantially cheaper.  You could start with them and wait until the Zondervan is on sale. Often the sales can be as much as 50% off. The Zondervan is rich in images, high quality colour photographs and maps throughout. They also have more material, the hard copies have around 8-9 volumes for the complete bible.

Paul, this is excellent to know!

I just purchases IVP, the Zonderman seems to have great photos, but I have multiple photo packages from Accordance. They are beautiful but I am guilty of not using them frequently enough. Thanks again,

• Like 2