Best Resources for Reverse Interlinear Setup?

ChrisL

Good afternoon,

I have found myself spending way too much time looking back and forth between original language (with interlinear), a formal equivalent Bible (NASB mostly), instant details and the SIL Exegetical Summary to the point that I can't really get anything meaningful done anymore. I know ZERO Hebrew and just enough Greek to be able to understand the underlining grammar and minimal vocab. I don't have the time to invest in learning the original language right now, but I want to be able to have a good read of the Bible and pull out just enough of the technical details quickly to get a good idea beyond what an English translation can give and move on. It stinks being in a transitional stage between English translation and wanting the meat of the original language, but not knowing it :(

For all of you guys not reading the original languages, what is your preferred AND QUICKEST method to read through Scripture and get the meat of the passage beyond your favorite English translation? My problem is as you are reading, you may not know there is more than what the English translation is providing without something else giving you the extra NUDGE (if that makes sense). I have just recently started using Mounce NT because of the phrase tagging (which is amazing!) and it just generally seems to be tagged to the original language far better than the other translations. I have the interlinear underneath the Mounce NT with just the Greek word and gloss. I have read the NASB for so long that as I start to read the Mounce NT, I am worried that I am missing something (i.e. Mounce uses a different word for something that you as a NASB user learned to understand better)...really hard to let go of your favorite translation.

Maybe using the Mounce NT with word and gloss underneath is the best method, but just curious what other people are doing to give me ideas to play around with.

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but I'd recommend having multiple English translations in parallel. You can often see where the language is difficult by how different translations diverge or agree.
I'd also recommend the NET Notes. They deal with translation issues in a very accessible manner.

• Like 3

I would give you the advice of the "triple click". Set to the Mounce Greek Dictionary. Thats how I started. For a short overview I would use the Ctrl. key if you hover over a Word.

Greetings

Fabian

I would give you the advice of the "triple click". Set to the Mounce Greek Dictionary. Thats how I started. For a short overview I would use the Ctrl. key if you hover over a Word.

Greetings

Fabian

I do use the CTRL+Click set to Mounce Greek/Hebrew when I need the extra lookup. My question is more being able to have a setup where I can just read and have as much presented to me as possible without having to click around and do word studies. There are of course times for word studies when I want to really dive into something, but this is meant to expand my general reading beyond what a formal equivalent translation can give me....just seeing what type of options I can work with.

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but I'd recommend having multiple English translations in parallel. You can often see where the language is difficult by how different translations diverge or agree.

I'd also recommend the NET Notes. They deal with translation issues in a very accessible manner.

Thanks for the idea on the NET notes. I will have to see how that plays out. I do have a tab with multiple translation as well and it is another idea. Maybe I may have to mess around with that some more.

Was going to recommend the exact same thing.

• Like 1

Looking through other threads and really liking how the Mounce NT with phrase tagging is setup, I upgraded to the NIV with phrase tagging for OT use. I will see how that works as well.

• Like 1

I really like the NET notes with the translation help. Are there are other sources that are similar, or do you find NET to be best for this purpose?