Pericope Headers of Translations?

KevinPurcell

What's the best way to show the headers or titles for pericopes for various translations? Is there a preference setting I can't find or some other way?

None of our Texts have pericope headings inside the Text itself. They'll usually be found with the associated Notes module.

You also can see the Pericope at the top of the Info Pane.

• Like 1

Many have suggested adding headers to English translations over the years. I, too, wish Accordance would add the feature.

• Like 6

Many have suggested adding headers to English translations over the years. I, too, wish Accordance would add the feature.

Yes please!!

It feels like this is part of the book removed. But I can see why some would not like it. That's why other programs make it an option.

Edited by KevinPurcell
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Accordance, it's really time to add this. Even Olive Tree app for Mac has the headings. It's becoming embarrassing that it's not available for Accordance... in version 13 of all things! Please? Pretty Please??

• Like 2

I can understand the desire for such headings to be 'in the text,' but...

1. They really are not part of the text, of course.
  2. The headings can be prejudicial. E.g., is Luke 15.1-7 really the "Parable of the Lost Sheep" or should it be the "Parable of the Searching Shepherd"?
  3. The pericope divisions are subjective. It's useful to see how different versions divide the text, but there are always options. (We really should use the logical system devised by Pagnino in the 16th century! Or, better yet, use the Eusebian canons for the Gospels!)
  4. As @Joel Brown noted, titles are visible in the Info pane. (Though I'm not sure where those titles are from. Back in BibleWorks days, they had 13 different outlines one could choose from w/ the headings from each.)
  5. You can always have the text display as paragraph to help 'see' the text, but that's the same subjective issues as #3.
  6. You can always check the "Outlines of the Bible Books." This is what I usually do to quickly scan a biblical book.
  7. The main reason for pericope divisions, imo, is for searching, and Accordance does allow that. (Set Scope to Paragraph) E.g., a regular (verse) search for "water <AND> spirit" will miss John 7.38-39, but a scope-paragraph search will find it.
Edited by mgvh
  • Like 10

mgvh... all very good and thoughtful points. However, the resource being provided in digital form often times has them included in the text. So should Accordance honor the actual text of the resource? I see both sides and am not really passionate either way as I can use the Info Pane. I do not think they should be included in the biblical text if the original resource did not have them.

• Like 2

I, for one, am so glad that they do not. At least in the original language versions! 

• Like 1

This one just keeps on coming up :)

I've never used them, don't even know what they say. I would likely not recognize them, in many cases, as referring to some passage which I am quite familiar with. I certainly don't want them cluttering the text with other peoples subjective names for passages that I would rather read and think about myself.

However ....

similar criticism could be levelled at paragraph and verse and chapter markings. But these at least provide handy chunk references and are 'more or less' standardized. If they were not approximately standardized, of course they wouldn't be "handy".

Now, many people seem to have grown up with them and like them and though not original (I suppose this could be contested on the basis that we don't actually have the true originals but that would be a bit specious :) ), they are part of the work itself, if you think of a particular translation as a work in its own right. And I have argued in the past that the publications should match the text of the print publication as nearly as possible. And this is perhaps the strongest argument for their inclusion. And they may provide a similar function to chapter and verse references for those familiar with them, that is locating a passage.

Regarding Mark's point 3 above, I have elsewhere suggested that overlaying of divisions of various kinds on the base text has its uses and providing a general way to do this would be helpful. But ... it's a bunch of work and not many would really use it.

Do I have a problem with Accordance providing an option that allows for the inline rendering of pericope titles in texts that print with them ? So long as it can be turned off (preferably the default setting) and that it does not perturb searches and statistics, then I would be ok with it. But doing even that much is some work and there are w/a's.

Thx

D

• Like 2

mgvh Regarding where the titles in the Info Pane come from, it looks to be that they come from the "Outline of Bible Books". Click on the title and it brings up the title in the Outline of Bible Books in a pane.

• Like 1