I need 3 panes - Any suggestions?

ddoyle777

I need some suggestions for a work around for using my iPad Pro during Bible studies.  I want to use 3 panes - English Text, Greek Text and My notes.  Currently Accordance won’t allow more than the use of 2 panes.  I find that using instant details is not adequate.  I was hoping that I could load a second Accordance app with the new iPadOS, but it doesn’t work.  I know that the Accordance folks are laboring to have full feature parity between the Mac and iOS platforms, but what would you suggest for a work around until then?

Thanks.

• Like 2

I put my notes in the apple notes that come in ios and you can open that as well but focus changes as you use the two apps so things pop up like the keyboard when you touch notes to move on so its not ideal but does mean you can edit it easily.and the note is available on your mac so its easy to work on in both operating systems.

Ps im a late adopter so havent upgraded to ipados yet. Waiting for the bugs to get sorted. Other note apps would work but i stopped using one note when i moved away from android.

post-31185-0-27754800-1572265572_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser

The above suggestion is good and I hope that Accordance will be adding support for running 2 instances of accordance at once. It has been requested and is now possible in ipados 13. So bring it on!! But i like the Apple Notes suggestion because then youc an just copy/paste later or on desktop.

Also, what I often do is have both my iPhone and my iPad open. I put the Bible and notes on my ipad and the second book (commentary or whatever) on my iphone.

Edited by KevinPurcell

Since you cannot have all three (English, Greek, and notes) in the Accordance iOS app, at least one of these has to be in another app. Like Fraser, my solution is to take notes in another app. But if you really want your notes in Accordance, another option would be to use another app (even a website) for the English or Greek text. If you're just reading it, that may be sufficient. But if you're amplifying from both texts, they have to be in Accordance.

I use another app where I can get my translation of choice for free, and run that parallel with Accordance with two panes open. It's not ideal. I too hope that Accordance for iPad will soon allow two instances or more of Accordance running at the same time. That would be super helpful.

Hey guys, to give you a little heads up, it's doubtful that Accordance on iOS will support multiple instances any time soon.

That being said, it is very much on my list of things to do support multiple panes.

My guess is that multiple instance support is desired in order to have more than two panes at any given time, but this, I think, and please tell me if I'm wrong, stems more from the idea that the mobile app cannot support more than two panes. This is true currently, but was the result of design choices many years ago. My hope is to have a more desktop experience in pane use. We don't give time tables around here, for many reason, but I did want to let you know that the current limitation will not be so forever.

• Like 7

That's great news. I have found that desktop Accordance works really well in Sidecar on my iPad Pro 10.5, which sometimes has me lamenting the limitations of the mobile version and wishing I could just run the full app on my iPad. I'm excited for what the future holds, hearing that you also want to take it closer to the desktop model of the app.

Support for more panes would satisfy some of the demand for multiple instances, but panes can only display Texts, Reference Tools, and User Notes. They won't let me view a non-reference Tool or a User Tool together with anything else.

• Like 1

They won't let me view a non-reference Tool or a User Tool together with anything else.

This is the current major limitation for me as well. I too would like to be able to have two commentaries or a text and lexicon or a history and atlas or a text and atlas open, even if they were on tabs...

• Like 4

This is the current major limitation for me as well. I too would like to be able to have two commentaries or a text and lexicon or a history and atlas or a text and atlas open, even if they were on tabs...

Yes, exactly!

• Like 2

Please don’t shoot me for this. You can have your English translation open in YouVersion.

• Like 1

Hey guys, to give you a little heads up, it's doubtful that Accordance on iOS will support multiple instances any time soon.

That being said, it is very much on my list of things to do support multiple panes.

My guess is that multiple instance support is desired in order to have more than two panes at any given time, but this, I think, and please tell me if I'm wrong, stems more from the idea that the mobile app cannot support more than two panes. This is true currently, but was the result of design choices many years ago. My hope is to have a more desktop experience in pane use. We don't give time tables around here, for many reason, but I did want to let you know that the current limitation will not be so forever.

I would love to have at least 3 panes open on my iPad. but I also want to be able to have another window open for referencing other resources. A second window can be used for chasing rabbit holes, (hey, ins’t this addressed in X passage or Y commentary), running lexical searches, consulting a theological dictionary, etc. You make it possible, and we will find uses for it. I could even see having a window open for researching sermon stuff, another for devotional reading, another for prepping a Bible study, etc.

Shorter: I want multiple windows open so I can do stuff not tied to a single text and be able to switch to a variety of resources without having to go through a bunch of steps to get me back to the text I was looking at. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not your fault, but it irritates me that Windows tablet users have full functionality, but iPad users are severely limited. That irritation grows with the inability to do the cool highlighting in Accordance 13.

• Like 1

Please don’t shoot me for this.

We'd never do that, your views are welcome!!!

You can have your English translation open in YouVersion.

It so depends how you work!

I love tagged versions and deleted youversion after using it for many years as i really missed the functionality and some translations were only available on line and my connection wasn't very reliable. Also i dont use notes in accordance because i think in passages rather than verses so ios notes is my normal medium for notes in daily use including, accordance, conferences shopping lists, things to do, things to read, music to learn, and everything else. All in one place and legible and can be updated on any device and always with me.

The joy is sharing the different ways we work and finding what will work best for our particular needs.

but it irritates me that Windows tablet users have full functionality, but iPad users are severely limited. That irritation grows with the inability to do the cool highlighting in Accordance 13.

totally agree but every time i pick up a windows tablet, reminds me why i like the the lightness of an ipad and put up with its limitations. Edited by ukfraser

Yes, my desire is more panes/tabs, like the desktop app. I wouldn't care for multiple instances nearly as much if I could just have more panes.

• Like 3

I agree with those above requesting to have multiple types of resources open at the same time in different panes/tabs/whatever. Having a biblical text in parallel with, say, a Bible Dictionary or an Atlas like Sacred Bridge would make for such an improvement in workflow and usability. And more panes. We all want more panes! :)

• Like 1

I would love to have at least 3 panes open on my iPad. but I also want to be able to have another window open for referencing other resources. A second window can be used for chasing rabbit holes, (hey, ins’t this addressed in X passage or Y commentary), running lexical searches, consulting a theological dictionary, etc. You make it possible, and we will find uses for it. I could even see having a window open for researching sermon stuff, another for devotional reading, another for prepping a Bible study, etc.

Shorter: I want multiple windows open so I can do stuff not tied to a single text and be able to switch to a variety of resources without having to go through a bunch of steps to get me back to the text I was looking at. 

I think, here, you're still thinking in the limited terms that our mobile platforms have offered to you. Again, these words are not binding and there's no timeline offered, but a desktop workspace does not limit one in such ways…

• Like 6

I think, here, you're still thinking in the limited terms that our mobile platforms have offered to you. Again, these words are not binding and there's no timeline offered, but a desktop workspace does not limit one in such ways…

Sounds like a major task, and a welcome improvement.

That's disappointing. I really would like to see the app make full use of the new features in iOS 13. Multiple instances is more versatile than 3 panes inthe app. I could have two side-by-side panes in one and a top-bottom in the other making 4 total. I bet others could imagine others.

• Like 1

Multiple instances would be great, but if there was sufficient flexibility in a multi-pane implementation that would be completely sufficient for me.  It's not like I regularly run two instances of Accordance on my Mac.  You might could do some interesting things with multiple instances — but those things should be able to be recreated with panes if sufficiently flexible.  Finally, multiple instances support is a significant and very invasive development task (which I'm dealing with now with numerous iPad apps at my job) — personally, I would probably prefer that energy focused elsewhere within the app assuming good multi-pane support is forthcoming.

• Like 3

multiple instances support is a significant and very invasive development task (which I'm dealing with now with numerous iPad apps at my job) — personally, I would probably prefer that energy focused elsewhere within the app assuming good multi-pane support is forthcoming.

I'm not a dev, so I didn't realize how difficult that is. That's on Apple then. They should make that a simple switch that doesn't require a lot of work, so I will give Accordance a pass on this if this is accurate, and I have not reason to doubt you Rich. Just don't know personally. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not a dev, so I didn't realize how difficult that is. That's on Apple then. They should make that a simple switch that doesn't require a lot of work, so I will give Accordance a pass on this if this is accurate, and I have not reason to doubt you Rich. Just don't know personally. Thanks for the insight.

It's more that the way Apple had developers build iPhone and iPad apps all these years was with a very strong and clear assumption that apps were never multi-window / reentrant. With multi screen, the same process must service multiple screens, so all application state that was safe (single instance) in the past because there was only one way to access / view it could now get accidentally clobbered by multiple windows.  This potentially requires a lot of rethinking and potential rework.

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly! 

The ability to search within the second pane would even be a huge help.

• Like 2